Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing - small numbers spread apart  (Read 4866 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lambing - small numbers spread apart
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 08:50:51 am »

Just a question about bringing them in post lambing. Can I still bring in just one? Will her lamb(s) be company enough?

We had the scanner come round and out of 6 shearlings we have 1 twin, 2 singles, 1 with a single but possibly a smaller twin and 2 empty. Unfortunately our tup only left 10 days before the scanner came. Is it possible that those girls could still be in lamb? We always said we would cull any that were empty to conserve our grass a bit, and these two are at the bottom of my estimate of 'meeting the breed standard', but I'm a bit terrified of sending them off if they do have lambs. Any advice? Other than these two it looks like our estimates based on the raddle paint are right

I had one this year that returned 2 days before the ram came out. She had been served 6 weeks prior to returning so if she doesn't lamb then she's off. It's only that we kept the ram in for a bit longer than normal that she had a 2nd chance... if he was only in for 6 weeks she would have been empty. So it's possible those other 2 could be early in lamb especially if the ram only came out a couple of weeks before scanning. I would probably keep them until I knew for sure (I.e they don't produce any lambs). You've kept them all winter so might as well keep until you're sure now that spring is on it's way.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Lambing - small numbers spread apart
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 07:39:32 pm »
Hi Dans- once a ewe has a lamb(s) she is fine to bring in just with the lamb(s)- she will not feel lonely. In terms of culling your 'empty' ones now- I definitely would not do so. It could be that they took late or your scanner has made a mistake...or lamb is just too small to see. This of course could also be the case with your 'singles' so just have it at the back of your mind that they could still be a twin (if the afterbirth has not been passed after a short time). It is really difficult to determine if they are pregnant by the outward size of them- even days before lambing in some (the lambs can be tiny- particularly ewes- and 2's and 3's). The udders, however, are a good guide and will begin to swell ('bag-up') a few weeks before (which is when you should begin to keep a very close eye on their behaviour). In fact no bagging up means that that they are no way near lambing and you can relax for a while. Mine are always later than expected. Exciting times! I'll PM you my new mobile no.!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS