Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Puppy potty training, advice please?  (Read 6121 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Puppy potty training, advice please?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 03:04:38 pm »
I'm going to be brutal here. everyone else has been nice and you still have problems

She is a tiny baby dog. She needs to wee and poo a lot FACT!

Human babies wear nappies - if they didn't, and in some countries they don't, they would just wee when and where they need to. 

In your case that is inside because you are not keeping her outside till she empties herself! 

You won't succeed unless you do that.  You must stay outside with her for as long as it takes.

They don't sleep for hours at a time except at night.  They catnap for a few minutes at a time and must be taken outside as soon as they waken - not when you've finished washing the dishes or having a cup of tea or miking a cow - now! Right this minute!

Her cage must be small or a bit blocked off so she hasn't room to stand up and wee.  I use a large cage but I put a firm bed or cardboard box inside at the back, just big enough to sleep in, and newspaper in the other part.  If she rips the paper, so what, it keeps her amused.
If you do these things she will become potty trained for wees in a couple of weeks.  If not she is ether stupid or she has an infection.  Poos sometimes take a little longer
Thanks for your input, I am aware everyone has been nice and have taken their advice to heart. we do keep her outside for long periods, after feeding and several times during the day for the past week now, she tends to do it only at night now or in the early morning, usually between 6 and 7 AM, so I have started to wake up earlier in order to let her out. It has been difficult what with all these disaster calvings over the past week and what with losing a cow :(  but I have been making the effort. I am aware that babies do indeed poop and pee a lot, and we are slowly starting to make progress with her. Have to take her out on a lead as she has a tendency to go off by herself, if not watched very closely.  So letting her out last thing at night for the past few of weeks is paying off now. I scrub her cage every morning and am trying to avoid the stuff with ammonia in it. When she is older she will be sleeping in the trailer with Ruby, as they're starting to get along just fine. Never had this problem potty training the last few we had... I guess keep working at it and it will pay off, that is until she is 3 months old. Thanks for the input guys I have taken some of it to heart :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:07:54 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 10:28:53 pm »
I agree with the others,  you need to stay out with her until she goes,  and take her out when she wakes up, after eating and after any play sessions. I think i was taking mine out every 30mins or so unless asleep. Also had to force him to take naps otherwise he'd get over tired and then misbehave. (a welshie like yours)
Just be patient, and consistent, she will soon learn. Mopping up pee is just part of the fun. I agree putting a command on the toileting action is a huge help in the future (ie you can ensure they have been before you start to train or work them, so that you know they will be able to give you their complete attention)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 12:54:05 pm »
I guess keep working at it and it will pay off, that is until she is 3 months old. Thanks for the input guys I have taken some of it to heart :)
Well done you're making progress.  I know you have a lot on your plate just now, the timing of getting the puppy maybe wasn't good, but she's here now and you're doing great. :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 07:35:36 pm »
oh the memories of fresh pee/poop around the house  :rant:
I had a kelpie pup a few years ago and it got to the point of me nearly taking it back to the farm i bought him from.
A gentle word from my wife and I was back to my calm self.
Every few hours the pup would be taken out regardless if he wanted to go or not. he was put in the paddock until he pee`d or pooped and as he just started going he was rewarded with "Good boy wee wee" or "Good boy doo doo "
within a week he was a remote controlled pup and would pee/poo on command.
Just be patient and keep yourself calm,it will click into place.

Zoflora is real good for cleaning the area after he has pee`d or poo`d there.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 06:51:31 pm »
there not really potty trained till around 8 mths I would ad a que word as soon as she's mid pee clicker training for pees is fast and quick the clicker has lots of traing uses for all sorts of non hearding type training. good luck

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 12:49:41 am »
Hi
Well here is the update... She was getting too big for the house so we gradually hardened her off and now she sleeps in a warm place, building, with the older dog, they have really taken to each other. The last time I had her inside was because of a storm frightening her and she never once peed or pooped in the night, so I think we got there in the end. All in all she is starting to become very, very obedient and is always willing to please. I am starting to teach her not to run after the chickens, but I will wait some time before introducing her to the sheep. Going to be getting her a long lead for basic training, as although is is very obedient, sometimes she deliberately ignores... but thats puppies for you and I am enjoying every minute with her   :trophy:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS