Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi Everyone - Ist Timer  (Read 1349 times)

Murg

• Joined Feb 2017
  • N Ireland
Hi Everyone - Ist Timer
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:15:13 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Just purchased a bit of ground next to my home last year ( 6 Acres). Hadn't seen machinery in over 40 years. Got the ground drained, destoned ( With a lot of backache) and ploughed, power harrowed and reseeded. Bought myself 6 texel X and introduced them to a Cheviot ram. Scanned with 3 twins 1 single & 2 empty. I since sent the empties to market and purchased another 3 ewes with twin lambs. Due to start lambing Mid March. Currently feeding on grass with a few nuts.  Have been preparing the shed for lambing to make it as comfortable as i can both for me & the ewes.
So just looking a few tips on preventative measures and feeding prior to lambing.

Any help would be very welcome..... Nervous about 1st time but very excited as well.

Murg

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hi Everyone - Ist Timer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:21:27 pm »
Well, you sound very well organised. :)  I don't have a huge experience of lambing so may not be the best person to give you an answer. There is very good lambing information in the "Livestock" section of this website and lots of advice in the Sheep forum.

One good piece of advice that I was given when I started keeping animals was to register with a good farm vet before you needed one. They will often come and do a flock visit so that, in an emergency, they already know a bit about your animals.

Good luck with it all!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:39:57 pm »
I don't know about sheep but wanted to welcome you to TAS.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:40:14 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon. Is there a sheep farmer nearby you can ask advice of? Maybe if he or she lambs earlier than you they may let you learn a bit from them. Good luck!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:36:58 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave: Very exciting first time lambing. I would usually start feeding six weeks before lambing.

Murg

• Joined Feb 2017
  • N Ireland
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:55:44 pm »
Hi Everyone...Thanks for all the advice I have taken it all on board. Getting very close now... Very excited will put some pics up  when i get them. Good luck to everyone else pre lambing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS