Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg in a pot  (Read 1848 times)

NotQuiteASmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Hillside, Montrose, Angus
Egg in a pot
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:18:20 pm »
Afternoon all,

Whilst doing a bit of research on the interweb today I came across a suggestion on Pinterest that when planting into a pot you should put a whole raw egg in the bottom of the pot and then top up with compost and proceed as normal.

I believe the theory is that as the egg decomposes it provides a natural fertiliser. Has anyone come across, or tried, this before? It seems like a waste of eggs to me but if it works then it could be worth a try!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Egg in a pot
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »
I tried a fish under a fruit bush when Rover the large Koi was killed by kids chucking a rock into his frozen pond.   I think I would rather use animal manure or good garden compost, unless the egg was a failed incubated one with a dead chick in.  Even then, I would bury it deep in the muck heap til it decomposed before putting it in the pot.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
I guess the theory is the same as using the water from your boiled egg to water house plants.  personally I'd break the egg first otherwise your greenhouse could become rather fragrant when the shell finally cracks. :innocent:

NotQuiteASmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Hillside, Montrose, Angus
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:52:33 pm »
...personally I'd break the egg first otherwise your greenhouse could become rather fragrant when the shell finally cracks. :innocent:

That thought had occurred to me too! I'm all for trying out new things but the smell of rotten egg is one I'd rather avoid.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:33:17 pm »
Having once 'found' a whole egg in otherwise well rotted compost  :yuck:, I'd avoid that one!

However, I have read of putting a sheep's fleece in the bottom of the hole when planting rhubarb etc, so I guess that's a similar idea......
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:21:50 am »
Fleece makes a good liner for hanging baskets I understand.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS