Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Country file  (Read 3742 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
Country file
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »
Anyone interested, country file are doing a feature on avian flu tonight - might prove interesting.
Heather

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Country file
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:56:12 pm »
Anyone interested, country file are doing a feature on avian flu tonight - might prove interesting.
Interested. Do you know what time its on?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:59:29 pm »
It's on now as I type ( in Scotland)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:28:07 am »
It was interesting although rather late in the day to mention it.  Their thoughts on the possibility of the extension of the restrictions after the end of Feb, and the inevitable total demise of the free range option should that happen, seemed decidedly downbeat.  Given that half of the eggs sold in Britain are free range (their statistic) their apparent acceptance that from now on all hens could have to be housed seemed quite odd.  It would be such a major change - maybe I missed them getting up in arms about it.
Let's just hope it doesn't happen  :chook: :tree: :chook: :tree: :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:11:01 am »
The thing the intensive side of the poultry industry has been waiting for? perhaps that's a little too conspiratorial.... but I do wonder. F&M was last released from a government lab after all.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:33:11 am »
F&M was last released from a government lab after all.

Was it?  ???  How? I never read up in depth about it, just saw the news reports on tv.

I very much doubt the whole of the UK or Europe on will go back to cages. There'll be vaccinations somehow or other for commercial units and us small scale keepers will just have to chance it, like with Marek's Disease.
I'm sure someone mentioned on a forum (though maybe not this one) that their colleagues in SW France aren't under lockdown at all despite thousands of birds there being culled?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:59:48 pm by Eve »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:17:24 am »
That is correct Eve. Whilst they have slaughtered probably 500,000 ducks and geese here (which is just about all of them), chickens and the few turkeys remain free-ranging. The virus found was H5N5, although there has recently been a case of H5N8 just Northwest of Paris for which wild pheasants are being blamed (it appears). It was different last year though when we were all on lockdown after the H5N8 virus was detected and all the ducks, geese and chickens in 'infected' 3km zones were slaughtered. Basically the bio-security measures put in place last year haven't worked. One farmer said he was using his compensation money to move into chicken production instead because he has had all his stock slaughtered two years in a row and has had enough of working 7 days a week for nothing.

There was a report last week of a definite move away from caged hens and to free-ranging, the latter now has the greater market share. This has been consumer driven as the French will pay a premium for small farm produce. Much of the vegetables consumed here are grown in backyard plots and sold at the weekly markets. The local towns have different market days so it is possible to sell all week. The veg is picked early in the morning and sold the same morning- we have a friend who does just that, growing his produce in two large poly-tunnels in his garden.

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:01:51 am »
Apparently we use 56% free-range eggs, the highest proportion in Europe according to this:-

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/25/uk-egg-producers-free-range-sector-bird-flu

I wonder how many of us have my attitude - if it can't be free-range I'll go without.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:40:40 pm by ColinS »
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:35:16 am »
F&M was last released from a government lab after all.

Was it?  ???  How? I never read up in depth about it, just saw the news reports on tv.

I very much doubt the whole of the UK or Europe on will go back to cages. There'll be vaccinations somehow or other for commercial units and us small scale keepers will just have to chance it, like with Marek's Disease.
I'm sure someone mentioned on a forum (though maybe not this one) that their colleagues in SW France aren't under lockdown at all despite thousands of birds there being culled?

yes.... I think it as 2011 wasn't it? I can remember gordon brown acting the fumbling idiot trying to explain the government out of it.

The story was that it was incorrect waste material disposal, but we'll never know the truth where a government lab is concerned.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 09:11:46 pm »

but we'll never know the truth where a government lab is concerned.

oh please.

the industry is moving towards aviary kept birds instead of barn kept and thats been driven by consumers wanting an end to cage kept hens. Its a far better environment than they had and far better than many backyard birds who spend the winter borderline underfed with no protection from predators or disease.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 01:09:02 am »
Hi Lord Flynn  :wave:    I've not heard of this (I don't get out much  ;D )  So what exactly is an aviary for hens?  Is it something like a polytunnel with mesh sides?  Having seen how happy my handful of hens have been this winter kept in the polytunnel, I can quite see that they would love to be there all year round, perhaps with more fresh air in the warmer months  :chook:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 08:02:52 pm »
 :wave:  hello, yes my hens are very happy inside as well-I don't think jungle fowl (even disguised as Scots Greys) are really meant to live on windy Lanarkshire hillsides year round. Mine will be in next year too and under lights-not to 'force' them but to ensure they eat enough when its dark from 3.30pm through to 8am.

The aviaries are up to one story high with varying heights (depending on age) or perches-so they can roost at night as they are supposed to and have a more three dimensional life. I am not sure when the first ones are being rolled out, I can find out though.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 11:13:26 pm »
Thanks LF.  So these are prefabricated structures to buy?   I'll look them up online and see what designs they have to copy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS