Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pupdate!  (Read 2576 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Pupdate!
« on: February 05, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
Jack is now 6 months old and has grown like a weed:

He started showing a proper interest in sheep about three weeks ago, we had one try but were then sidelined for a week after he stepped on something and took a small chunk out of his heel pad on his right front paw, so it's only been in the last fortnight that we've got started and we've now had five sessions. 

As he's so new to it, I thought it was probably best to leave him at home this morning when we went to dose the sheep for fluke, as he's not quite got the idea of going around them rather than through them yet and tends to scatter them.  We have my brother-in-law staying and I thought with three of us plus a large bucket of sheep feed it would be easy to get them in the pen, right?

Wrong!  45 minutes later we admitted defeat and I went to fetch Jack, who trotted into the field like a pro, did a lovely controlled walk-up behind them, lying down when asked, and had them penned in about five minutes flat. 

Very, very proud of him and I've been so lucky to be allowed to have this wonderful dog.  Just need to do my best not to mess him up, because he is potentially outstanding, I think.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Pupdate!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:58:34 pm »
well done! Ours is only 8 weeks old atm, so still a long way to go before she has sheep to sort out. He is beautiful btw  :love:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:05:20 am »
Lovely dog

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:44:11 am »
Looks a good, strong dog - should have a great outrun.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 12:24:23 pm »
 :love:  What a super looking dog.  And sounds like he's going to be a good worker too. 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38:49 pm »
Sounds good, hope he realises what a lucky boy he his, can fulfill his ambition with sheep and has a  nice warm fire to sprawl in front of. Many a human would envy him  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS