Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep leg Bone?  (Read 2794 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Sheep leg Bone?
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:10:34 pm »
Hi
Collected the carcase of a 18month tup today, just been bagging and freezing,
trimmed the meat off  back leg.
Is it safe to give the raw leg bone to dog?  Bit of meat still on.
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:30:32 am by penninehillbilly »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Sheep leg Bone?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:11:45 pm »
..depends on the dog and how he handles bones.
For a dog that happily gnaws at the thing and just strips the remaining meat and tissue off its fine. But I've had dogs come in that gnawed the whole thing up and ended up constipated with tiny shards of sharp bone making it too painful to defaecate and being anaesthatised for manual removal. Or dogs like my Dally- give him a bone and he'll spend hours terribly distressed burying it, digging it up again to check on it - look for another place to hide it.. until his nose is bleeding and his feet are raw -  constantly running to the windows to check for intruders... It was funny to watch the first time until one saw the state he gets into. Now if he finds a bone anywhere it's important to tactfully remove it for his safety

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:06:58 am »
..depends on the dog and how he handles bones.
For a dog that happily gnaws at the thing and just strips the remaining meat and tissue off its fine. But I've had dogs come in that gnawed the whole thing up and ended up constipated with tiny shards of sharp bone making it too painful to defaecate and being anaesthatised for manual removal. Or dogs like my Dally- give him a bone and he'll spend hours terribly distressed burying it, digging it up again to check on it - look for another place to hide it.. until his nose is bleeding and his feet are raw -  constantly running to the windows to check for intruders... It was funny to watch the first time until one saw the state he gets into. Now if he finds a bone anywhere it's important to tactfully remove it for his safety

My dog is the same. He doesn't know what to do with a bone and it causes more trouble than its worth. If he is inside we find it buried all over the place. Behind the cushions, behind the chairs. Actually he is the same with anything he isn't quite sure of. I gave him the thick rind from a piece or parmesan and found it later buried under my pillow :-)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 11:28:38 am »
Thanks, we decided not to. Just looked too nice to waste, but don't want any problems.
Gave the cat a rib bone, considering he crunched voles and shrews, surprised he didn't touch it.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:56:35 pm »
I would have offered it, but mine has been fed raw so would have a clue what to do with it :)
You could also make yourself some lamb stock with the bones?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:24:00 pm »
I would have offered it, but mine has been fed raw so would have a clue what to do with it :)
You could also make yourself some lamb stock with the bones?
Yes should have put it with others for stock, boiled some up last night, Ruby-dog gets gravy on her bikkies.
Tup was 32 kg, still some big joints in fridge to bone out and pack/freeze. I'd had enough last night! So there is another somewhere.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS