Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI - Am I too late  (Read 3548 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: AI - Am I too late
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 09:14:42 am »
How did it go? I am quietly confident mine both took. I have invented a 'heatometer' calibrated on 'not on heat' and 'on heat' as vulva measurements on a bit of cardboard. My favourite pig guru didn't think it was going to do well in Dragons den as a limited market. People have made fortunes on less I said....

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 09:26:28 am »
I did manage some by myself but easier with help.

Blimey!  I felt bad enough having to call our neighbour for a stuck lamb this morning. Goodness only knows what he'd have said if it had been "could you hold the other end of this tape measure for me please?"  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 11:39:15 am »
How did it go? I am quietly confident mine both took. I have invented a 'heatometer' calibrated on 'not on heat' and 'on heat' as vulva measurements on a bit of cardboard. My favourite pig guru didn't think it was going to do well in Dragons den as a limited market. People have made fortunes on less I said....

Good question! I think only time will tell. I managed two inseminations in one of my gilts, then she was was definitely out of heat when the next gilt was right on so I put the other bottle in her. So who knows. At least now I'm more confident in the timings of things. I definitely wasn't too late when I first thought I was. I'd say it was at least three going onto four days before they were ready from when I first noticed the change. I'll need to get myself a heatometer!

On the bright side the breed rep for the BPA is going to lend me his boar which I'll have ready just in case they do come back into heat at the end of the month. With their increasing age and the time of year for selling weaners I don't want to miss them next time.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 12:25:29 pm »
Here you are, can't call me ungenerous!  Line anus up with top of card, measure to lower tip of vulva.  Mark one is 'normal'. Mark two below is 'on heat'. Left side is Bertha, right side is Bea.  For added security the bottom of the card to the lowest mark on each side in 'no heat' vulva width. Brilliant huh?  You saw it here first!!

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 12:55:01 pm »
Excellent! I'm off to call my pal Duncan, I'm sure he'll love it. "She's out!" (say that in your head with Duncan's accent).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS