Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI - Am I too late  (Read 3536 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
AI - Am I too late
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:46:31 pm »
Hi All,

Having my first attempt at AI with my Tamworth sows. I noticed the redness and swelling yesterday morning and ordered the seman which arrived this afternoon. Went out to do the insemination but she wouldn't stand. She seemed to be standing better yesterday. Could I have missed her or could I be too early. She's still quite red and swollen. 

Any advice appreciated.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Love my family animals and life's sweet
Re: AI - Am I too late
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
 If she is still red and swollen I would guess she is still on  was yesterday the first day she came on?
Everyday is a day to wake up for

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:35:53 pm »
Yes I'm pretty sure yesterday was the first day. They're pretty docile most of the time and stand anyway. She seemed a bit more agitated tonight, maybe because I inserted the catheter and she wasn't in the mood.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 07:03:16 pm »
If it was only yesterday she came on heat you should be good, make a record of the date and start checking in the next few weeks

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 07:40:27 pm »
I didn't actually manage to get the seman in before she moved off. She still isn't having it tonight. I'll try and get her in a race in the morning and get some in but I think I'll have missed the boat.

Can see me getting a boar soon.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 07:43:09 pm »
Is there anyone close to you that you could take your sow to?

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 07:49:32 pm »
No not for Tamworth's, I tried everywhere, the Scottish area coordinator for the Tamworth's breeders club couldn't find me one either.

There's a boar down south that is a quite a rare bloodline so I think I'll go down for that.

Thanks for the advice.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:59 pm »
The semen has a shelf life at room temp of about 5 days so don't give up yet but she must be standing.

Are you AI'ing after weaning?

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:18 pm »
Thanks Harmony, fingers crossed.

They haven't farrowed before this will be their first time. I really should have had her farrowing sooner as she's about 17 months old now but I've just been so busy. My other sow is 13 months. This is our first time breeding so I've been doing a lot of reading and research.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 04:52:21 pm »
We did our two gilts last week, first time all round. They sort of stood, but then I sort of crept up on the while they were eating. Unladylike I know but needs must.  Being gilts I wasn't convinced that with no boar in sight or smell they knew how long they had stand, or at least they lost concentration. Anyway job done certainly it was all deposited in the right place, will know outcome before too long......

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 05:31:19 pm »
Well done you! I'm having no luck.

How long after going red and swollen did yours stand?  I'm still not sure if I'm early or late.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 05:48:11 pm »
Mine are Berkshires and someone tipped me to measure each day anus to tip of vulva ( strange hobby for a lady) as reddening isn't obvious.  But consequently I ordered the day I noticed the first increase in size, (Thurs am) and for the first pig she was inseminated Saturday am, and again Sunday am and pm.  She probably stood better  for the Sunday doses.  By Tuesday the vulva was back towards the size it had been Wednesday pm. The second gilt was following about 48 hours behind so some increase in size Saturday she was done Sunday pm (probably a bit early but I was conscious of the shelf life issue) Monday pm and Tuesday pm. By Late Wednesday she was reducing back to normal size.

Are you doing this single handed?  I did manage some by myself but easier with help.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 05:59:39 pm »
Well if you were too early before you won't be tomorrow so find a friend and go for it.  Someone told me gilts may not stand as well especially without a boar in sight so a quiet corner, and a bucket of feed was our solution.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 08:33:56 pm »
I had my wife to help but I probably spent too long leaning on her (the sow) back and trying to decide if she was actually going to stand long enough or not. I think your method of going in quiet putting down a bucket and getting on with is best.

It was Thursday morning I first noticed the change so hopefully things will go better tomorrow.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 10:30:20 pm »
Hope all goes well.  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS