Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any issues using pallet wood for sheds?  (Read 3643 times)

Pord

• Joined Oct 2016
Any issues using pallet wood for sheds?
« on: February 03, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
Hi folks

I've successfully used pallet wood for small scale construction in the past, eg for flooring and doors in sheds. I have recently found a source for as many pallets as I want and have plans to make a couple of sheds, maybe a hen house etc. I see a few folk online expressing concerns about the chemicals which some pallets are treated with (usually marked CT, I think) and consequently not using them.  Any thoughts or opinions?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Any issues using pallet wood for sheds?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »
So long as you're not housing anything that likely to eat the wood, eg horses, donkeys, then I don't see that there should be a problem. Even then they'd have to eat a massive amount to be poisoned.

Best bet is to google the chemical and see for yourself what problems there might be.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 06:36:40 am »
Major problem I had Pord was removing the boarding without splitting it, because the nails are ribbed and won't pull out. Nail holes may need filling. Another problem was shrinkage opening up gaps so the cladding leaked- I should have overlapped the boarding horizontally. I wouldn't worry about treatment as you'll have to treat it anyway. Untreated pallet boards seem to last about two years and then seemingly rot overnight?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:18:12 am »
American pallets tend to be chemical treated, European pallets tend to be heat treated.
(Although thinking about it I have never seen anything but heat treated in the thousands, from all round the world, that I deal with at work.)

Pallets should have a code stamped on them telling you the country of origin, timber producer code and treatment method.  If it is marked HT then it is simply cooked in an oven (long enough to kill any beasties in the wood that might be about to be shipped round the world).

NotQuiteASmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Hillside, Montrose, Angus
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 10:29:41 am »
When I was a child my Dad made me a play house out of pallets. I used to spend hours in it. It hasn't done me any harm!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 07:01:09 pm »
Major problem I had Pord was removing the boarding without splitting it, because the nails are ribbed and won't pull out.

You can get a special tool for dismantling pallets without damaging the wood too much. That might be worthy of more investigation?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 06:03:41 pm »
If you dont want something pallet shaped (cos its only a £ a pallet) - buy real wood, its pretty cheap too ;)

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:44:35 pm »
If you can get identical pallets in quantity then don't bother to dismantle them.

Make a base by joining 6 or 8 or 9 plates together (3x2,4x2 or 3x3) and the sides in the same way possibly using 1.5 pallets for side height. then cover the sides with cheap shiplap as used for fencing and possibly a couple of packs of chip composite clic lock flooring for the internal floor. Although pallets could be used for the roof its probably much easier to use some 3x2 and cover it with chipboard or ply then felt for waterproofing.

Using pallets will save a little on cost but increase the time to build.

Regen

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:53 pm »
Time is of the essence if you're going to dismantle them. A nice new, dry pallet will come apart OK but one that's spent six months lying in the rain will have rusty nails that will refuse to budge. I've resorted to using a small diameter hole saw to cut out a plug around each nail head- which of course leaves a hole behind.

Salamanda

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
Hi
I use a pallet breaker which i purchased off Ebay for under £30.00, great tool.
Cheers

Pord

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 01:07:53 pm »
Thanks all for your posts. 

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 10:11:38 am »
We built a number of chicken houses out of pallet wood some years ago. they lasted very well considering I only ever gave them the one coat of preservative when they were newly built. Biggest problem is the amount of labour required to liberate the decent wood from the pallets.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS