Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbits...  (Read 2759 times)

Junction Farm

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Female
  • Hello from Yorkshire
Rabbits...
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:20:24 pm »
Any tips for keep out the rabbits?? We are overrun with rabbits. (a good thing as it seems to keep the foxes away from the chicken's) but it dose seem to cause an issue with growing stuff. I have some plaster with herbs in which are quite high and near my house so the rabbits have not bothered with them but were planning a large garden this year and im not sure weather to raise bed, Poly tunnel or into the ground and sheet it?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Rabbits...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:00:18 pm »
Buy an air rifle and fill your freezer!

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »
Can you erect a rabbit fence. We have lots of bunnies here but a 3' rabbit fence has prevented them gaining entry to my half acrw veg parch for 2 years now.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:19:48 pm »
The air rifle is a good idea, but only if you also have a rabbit fence:  while they are distracted trying to dig under, they might make easy targets (assuming you have time to lie quietly in wait late in the eve)!!!
Proper answer - rabbit mesh is the only means!  I am by no means an expert in this area, but if they are desperate to chew your greens then a 900mm high mesh with 150mm pegged out-turn is the recommended standard.  Forestry Commission reports that digging the 150mm into the ground is no more effective than a 150 out-turn:  a turn-out obviously involves a lot less work. 

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:49:52 pm »
Air rifle is only a good idea if you are already a good shot, otherwise learning on bunnies is not a humane solution.  However you should be able to find someone locally with an air rifle or shotgun who can come and control them for you

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:56:32 pm »
How did you get on with your rabbits ?

There are other solutions that work well .
 Look up , "  Australian rabbit traps "  .  The big barrel one set in the ground works well 24/7 & is easy to set & harvest any catches from .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS