Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Yorkshire....  (Read 1860 times)

Junction Farm

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Female
  • Hello from Yorkshire
Hello from Yorkshire....
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:56 am »
Hello everyone, im a small holder from Yorkshire.
We live in west Yorkshire on a lovely little farm,  Just started to keep livestock after keeping horses for many years.
We currently have 3 young calves, 2 sows and a boar with a litter of 11 weaners, 20 sheep in lamb, 12 horses, multiple chickens, 5 dogs and 2 cats.

Plus 2 teenage daughters.
Me and my husband both work full time too. So as you can imagine life is a little stressful and busy at times but wouldn't have it any other way.

Husband is a keen Gardner and were currently looking into bee keeping.

Really looking forward to learning lots from all you guys.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Yorkshire....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:43:38 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 03:22:05 pm »
Welcome from South Lincs

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 03:22:46 pm »
 :wave:

Am currently in your neck of the woods! Hello!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:39:06 pm »
HELLO from leeds
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »
 :wave: and from north lincs. Sounds like you have your hands full!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 07:07:04 pm »
Hello from west-West Yorkshire.  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. What do you do in your spare time?  ;)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:44:29 pm »
Hello from Skipton   :wave: :wave:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Junction Farm

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Female
  • Hello from Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 01:33:55 pm »
:wave: and welcome from Shropshire. What do you do in your spare time?  ;)

Spare time?? What is that??   :roflanim: :roflanim:

I don't have any spare time as its winter.

My morning routine from yesterday started like this at 06.00 rise and shine and feed up. Feed all 5 dogs, then move on to feed the 3 calf's, then over to the stable block to feed and water my fathers 2 mares who are in foal, then on to my horse poppy who requires feed and her nets and water doing, then onto the pigs, 2 sows and boar in one pen and then to 11 weaners who just scream at me every morning, then on to the yard cat. Once that has been done then i go and collect all the buckets and re fill ready for evening. Then on to the chickens and ducks although they are pretty easy, feed, water and remove any eggs. Then back to house were the real hard work starts. Trying to get a teenager out of bed without causing world war 3 is near impossible especially with an interfering 11 year old hanging around. Next as long as no arguments arose then onto feeding the children and the house cat. The 11 year old had a mental breakdown yesterday as we had run out of Coco pop rocks. The stroppy teen wanted a full English although we are already 20 mins late. We compromised with toast and a promise of a KFC for tea. Then dropped the girls off at school that a 30 min out of my trip before i get to work to start a grueling long 9 hours sat behind a desk. Then off we go back home to start the whole process again, although evening routine is slightly more stressful as i have to walk round all 80 acres looking for a Clydesdale to give her meds and her partner in crime a good feed. Its suicide walking into a field of 15 horses armed with a bucket in hand so i have to walk around the fields till i find them and bring them back up the barn and feed individually. The Clydesdale always finishes first and then pulls like mad to get to the other horse who eats super slow and savors every morsel im sure he dose this on purpose so he can laugh at me holding the end of the lead rein and been pulled all over the place by a 750kg animal. Then it was off back to the stables for mucking out. Usually i listen to my radio but poppy smashed it in four pieces the previous night so i batted on in silence until the yard cat came in and meowed at the top of her voice for pouch whilst a mouse just ran passed her.

I have just started a blog so any spare time i like to update my blog. I have passion for horses and love hatching ducks and chickens.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 12:21:44 am »
I'll bet you don't get bored.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS