Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carrying Hay  (Read 5943 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Carrying Hay
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:46:24 pm »
So what do the rest of you do to carry hay out to your fields? Up until now, we've always bought hay in small bales, which I can wheel out to the field on a sack truck.

However, we just bought a couple of large round bales from our neighbour, and I either need to take the hay feeder to them to fill up (something like this?):

Or I need some sort of sack or bin that I can fill up from the big bale, then carry or wheel out to the hay feeder.

Any bright ideas?

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Carrying Hay
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:49:16 pm »
...tractor?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 01:54:02 pm »
I use a builders bag.

I only have 6 sheep so don't need to put too much out at a time but find I can put what I want in the bag and sling it over my shoulder and off I go. Simples...... :-)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »
I use hay nets - I have two big ones but I agree with Bionic - builders bag. Takes a lot and you can drag it.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:00:23 pm »
Just drop it down out of loft into feeder in barn then leave door and gate open -if they want it they come and get it!
So far 17 sheep have only eaten 3 small bales and seem happy enough with rough grazing.

Regen

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 08:20:07 pm »
We switched from small,bales to large ones a few years back so I bought One of those very large wheelbarrows. They cost about £300 though.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 10:50:18 pm »
Good ideas folks - thankyou!

We're getting through half to 2/3 of a square bale per day at the moment between twenty zwartbles. Unfortunately our hay shed is in our yard, rather than in one of the fields, so I can't let the sheep in there (for one thing, it's full of ducks at the moment!)

Also, I've twice had to free sheep with button ear tags caught in hay nets, so I gave our nets away to a horsey friend. Perhaps your sheep aren't as daft, Rosemary!

I'll try a builder's bag in the first instance and see how I get on. Thanks!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:35:30 am »
Also, I've twice had to free sheep with button ear tags caught in hay nets, so I gave our nets away to a horsey friend. Perhaps your sheep aren't as daft, Rosemary!

I'll try a builder's bag in the first instance and see how I get on. Thanks!

Ah, I don't leave the hay in the net for the same reason of losing tags. We have wheeled covered hay racks for the sheep, cattle and ponies.

Try the skip for rubble bags.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 08:18:14 am »
A round bale should 'unpeel', pretty much, so I just unpeel what I want, roll it up on itself, strap it around with baler twine, and carry it by that.  Do restrap the big bale, though, to stop it unraveling by itself.

Otherwise a dumpy bag ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 04:06:32 pm »
A round bale should 'unpeel', pretty much, so I just unpeel what I want, roll it up on itself, strap it around with baler twine, and carry it by that.  Do restrap the big bale, though, to stop it unraveling by itself.

Otherwise a dumpy bag ;)

Would definitely agree with unpeeling it and then rolling it up like a carpet for carrying. Else once you start gathering wisps of it for carrying you will end up moving a lot of bulk but not much actual weight of hay.

In my experience round bales are great to put straight into a ring feeder but once you have to start carting it, it becomes a pain. Large square bales are a lot easier to deal with as you can just get a segment off and it's still compressed for transport.

Can you not get your neighbour to put the bale next  to the fence so you can just throw the hay over? Doesn't matter if the whole bale gets wet as presumably it'll be finished before it goes mouldy. Or put a cover over it.
I'm a great believer in taking the mountain to Mohammed (so to speak). Ie move the bulk of the  hay by tractor as near to the sheep as possible and so cut down your carting small amounts across the fields daily.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 04:06:06 pm »
It's obvious... you need a tractor. Whether you bother using it for the hay is immaterial... ;D

My few sheep are fussy. The last two winters we had snow for a few days and I took hay up to them .. they turn their noses up at boring dried grass.. they're far to grand to eat that. But then 5 sheep in 15 acres with lush hedges and trees.....

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 10:52:28 am »
OK, so it took me a year to get around to sorting this out, but.....

More details here (as if those pictures don't tell you everything you need to know already!  ;D )

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 12:57:44 pm »
I like that. What are the dimensions of the nylon sheet (approximately)?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 02:26:24 pm »
OK, so it took me a year to get around to sorting this out, but.....

More details here (as if those pictures don't tell you everything you need to know already!  ;D )
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »
An Ikea bag also worked.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS