Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for a powerhorse log splitter 22 tonne  (Read 2177 times)

kipper

• Joined May 2013
Looking for a powerhorse log splitter 22 tonne
« on: January 24, 2017, 05:15:26 pm »
I had a loan of a 22 tonne Powerhorse splitter at the weekend and it was brilliant .im struggling to find one for sale in the uk ? Does anyone have any idea who sells them ?
Thanks

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Looking for a powerhorse log splitter 22 tonne
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:16:33 pm »
Can you not ask the people who loaned you the Powerhorse where they got it from?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
I did thanks and they bought it from a farm sale a couple of years ago

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:09:08 pm »
Hi Kipper,  We hired a similar 20 tonne petrol log splitter a few years ago, and were really impressed by it. However, when a group of us clubbed together to buy one, we actually bought this 9 tonne electrically driven splitter instead. Edit - this is a sales link to an updated version of the same thing.

Over the past four years or so, we've each split many tonnes of timber with it, and though the lower power means you have to think about things a bit (e.g. nibbling around the edges of big logs to start with), we haven't found anything yet that we can't split.

The BIG bonus is the electric power though. OK, it can't be used 'in the field', but it's quiet , efficient, and best of all doesn't mean breathing in exhaust fumes for hours on end!  Just something else to think about.....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:12:43 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:39:38 am »
Put logsplitter into eBay

This one is a meaty brand new 31 tonnes splitting force engine driven hydraulic ram  mounted on a road legal trailer .  The price is meaty as well .   WX980EU Wallenstein log splitter

Honest there are so many on the eBay you're going to b  spoilt for choice .. But my 66 years of experience in the hard knocks university tell me that like chainsaws don't buy a second hand one from a stranger .

An electric / 30 tonne hydraulkic ram splitter  and the use of a 3-4 KVA (  kilo volts amps ) genny solves the problem of taking it away from  a mains power place .  (If you  think of one KVA being enough for 3.5 amps consumption @ 240 volts & you'll not go far wrong ) .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:42:18 pm »
I prefer to use one that has the ram going horizontal to those that drop it vertical.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 07:41:58 pm »
Mine is horizontal , at present I am scrounging parts to make an elevator to put underneath to load them  in to the storage cages . Getting old and stiff  :(

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:49:18 pm »
The one we use will do horizontal, vertical, and various angles in between.

Vertical is essential for us when splitting big rounds that we can't lift (just shuffle them on, then break them into manageable chunks), whereas horizontal is easiest for splitting small stuff straight off the trailer.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS