Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coast to Coast Path  (Read 2346 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Coast to Coast Path
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »
I would LIKE to do this in the summer..

I did the WHW last year and, frankly you could do it without a map, you couldn't get lost it is so well signposted.

The C2C has a lot of very different write ups.  Is there actually a path or is it all map reading?

I'll be doing it by myself so am a little more nervous.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: Coast to Coast Path
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:35:05 pm »
Usually a VERY clearly worn path and frequently lots of likeminded people to share the days (or part) of it with. We were amazed to keep meeting folk we had seen before! We met a few doing the walk on their own who all commented on the camaraderie.
HTH

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:51 am »
I would suggest that you brush up on your map and compass work incase of bad weather through the lake district. . Apart from that - enjoy!

carla78

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:27:50 pm »
It is pretty hard to get lost.

It is well signposted if i remember correctly.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:17:31 pm »
Did the first part from St Bees to KB last year most straightforward but you do need a map and a couple of places made you think especially when tired. Lots doing it though and probably possible to find a group to walk with if you try one of the walking tour operators.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:59:19 am »
I'm walking with dogs and so groups are out.... I've ordered a book and I gather I can avoid the cliff parts if I want to.

Having said that, when I walked the WHW (my only other long distance walk) I was surprised by how exaggerated some of the comments were.

I am fat and 50 and walked it in 7 days without a blister, that said the weather was lovely and I imagine a much less happy experience in the wet!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 08:27:14 am »
The first four days you will be walking through Herdwick country so it is dogs on leads nearly all the way.   We met one young couple up on top of the fells heading over to Grasmere there was a stretch along that point you would struggle with a dog let alone two on a lead, there were two of them with a dog each. 

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 05:51:00 pm »
The people who get lost are generally looking at a map rather than where they are going in my experience of a coast path.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:55:10 am »
The first four days you will be walking through Herdwick country so it is dogs on leads nearly all the way.   We met one young couple up on top of the fells heading over to Grasmere there was a stretch along that point you would struggle with a dog let alone two on a lead, there were two of them with a dog each.

Would you explain?  Is this the wrong walk to do with dogs?  Help would be appreciated.  The dogs are an integral part of the holiday.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 01:46:36 pm »
Well I guess the issue with livestock and dogs is there across many walks but it is more of an issue where you have hefted flocks such as the Herdwicks and so no fences or boundaries. You simply can't walk dogs off lead up across Ennerdale and Grasmere as there are sheep everywhere. I am 50 plus and reasonably fit but I could not have done that part of the walk holding two dogs on leads, one maybe, and you will not see walkers up there in the high fells without walking poles so not easy to find a spare hand to hold a lead, let alone two. But I'd hate to put you off unnecessarily we need someone who has done the WHW and C2C with dogs!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS