Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What should I do...?  (Read 2454 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
What should I do...?
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:57:58 am »
I have a "blindie" Luca.... double enucleation.  Former chain dog from Bulgaria.  Thrown out and lived on the street.  Spent a year "closed down" in the shelter..... and then I got him!

His life is sofa, ablutions, 15 minutes around the paddocks by himself and then at the back door for his sofa again.

My other dogs don't like him and he doesn't like them but, generally, he loves food, some cuddles (you still can't touch his back and lifting him up is stressful) and the sofa.

Because he isn't much trouble..... I wonder if I neglect him and should be encouraging him out of his comfort zone.  he doesn't walk on a lead much (I have no paths on the road outside and there's no point because he has been exercised).

Should I try and lead walk him and get him more "outgoing" or leave him to be as happy as he can be?  Age is anywhere between 6 to 10 really.  it's hard to judge their teeth are all so sh1t.

The reason is I would love to take him walking with me.... but he'd stress like feck at the moment xxx

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: What should I do...?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:08 am »
Why stress both him and you.  He sounds happy in his own world, why invade it because you feel guilty?

So long as he eats well, his outgoings are normal, he doesn't become ill, he keeps to his routine then leave him be
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:07:18 am »
I agree with Annie. I think sometimes we can project our own desires on to animals - I used to worry that my retired ponies were bored. For a prey animal, I reckon boredom is bliss.

If he's in good health physically, he's probably in a good place mentally (for him). After his previous life, I guess sofa, food, paddocks, sofa is heaven.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:00 am »
Annie/Rosemary,

That's always been my approach, he has a sheepskin rug on the sofa, plenty of treats, the heating is on for him and the television on when I am at work...

I met a fosterer who thought what I was doing was encouraging his stresses and neuroses by not making him address them and that he would be happier if he was braver.  He is a very cool dog, he walks incredibly quickly, he would attack a lion and I love him.  I am concerned I am lazy with him..

Would you go through stress but emerge more confident, engaged and happy.... or would it just stress him?   

I really want to go with you, because it means I haven't been neglecting him for 4 years lol!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:44:06 pm »
It's a very human thing to be ambitious.

Do you foresee a time where he will need to cope with the outside world more? Eg if you were fostering to rehome then I'd certainly day to work on more things. But he's staying with you and is happy....

Reminds me of the apocryphal tale of a talented dressage horse, owner felt guilty at it "not using its potential". Got sold to competition yard. Went lame. No vet problems identified. Tried supplements, all sorts. Lame for years. Finally got sold back to old owner... Never limped again. It just wasn't happy at the higher level of training. Why would it be? Rosettes mean nowt to an animal.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »
You have definitely not been neglecting him. You have given him the life he needs.Ignore your fostere 'friend'  Thay do not know what he needs. You do.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:04:10 pm »
id say let him be id love to be able to do this with our elderly gray hound but house moves forcing my hand.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS