Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The price of heating oil  (Read 2143 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
The price of heating oil
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:46:42 am »
I have my oil delivered on a planned basis and pay monthly by direct debit.  This week their usual email arrived letting me know that a delivery is due and giving me the price per litre.

OH did a big of digging around and found I could get the oil much cheaper elsewhere.

Now to be honest I am fairly lazy where this sort of thing is concerned and tend to always stick with the same company. However, this morning I rang the original company and told them I could get it 8p per litre cheaper elsewhere which is a substantial sum when you are ordering 1500 litres.

Anyway, after asking who the cheaper oil was with, without any haggling, they agreed to delivery the oil at the same cost. Yipee.....
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: The price of heating oil
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:51:19 am »
We don't use heating oil but in our village they have an "oil club". They pool their deliveries and benefit from a reduced rate overall.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:38 am »
Where do you get yours from [member=8989]Bionic[/member] ? We get ours from tregaron, our original suppliers started upping the prices, so we moved to a different supplier, can't remember who it was now, but they are much cheaper and better service too. We ended up changing the whole cenrel heating system also, which has reduced the amount of oil we use, as it turns out the old boiler used way too much oil :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:49 pm »
I got price from usual supplier then rang Wynnstay .... Their price was 5p cheaper ..... So ordered from Wynnstay...... I got quite a surprise when tanker arrived .. it was usual tanker and driver... They were contracted by Wynnstay......  Page to phone round.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:19:53 pm »

Anyway, after asking who the cheaper oil was with, without any haggling, they agreed to delivery the oil at the same cost. Yipee.....

Normal tactic by the oil companies

Try

https://homefuelsdirect.co.uk

to check out prices that should give you an idea of what the price should be. I was sceptical of ordering from them on line, but did so via their website and it was delivered by one of the normal companies round here who were quoting more themselves (not sure how that works!). I now use their price to barter with the local suppliers because I know they should be able to match it.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 02:13:35 pm »
I always look on 'boiler juice' which is a comparison type site, I then ring my supplier and get a price of them and if it's higher they always match the cheaper price. Easier all round

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 02:48:52 pm »
I always look on 'boiler juice' which is a comparison type site, I then ring my supplier and get a price of them and if it's higher they always match the cheaper price. Easier all round

It was Boiler Juice that gave me the cheaper price that was then price matched
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 09:03:18 pm »

around here, boiler juice is not cheaper than our local oil club-might be worth seeing if you have one in your area
https://www.oil-club.co.uk

for anyone in Lanarkshire, the oil club below has been cheaper every time than anyone else in the last year (including the oil club), just fyi-you order, the selected company delivers and invoices you, orders go in third monday of every month.

http://lanarkshireoilclub.com

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:17:55 am »
Fueltool.co.uk is a handy starting point. Mole valley fuels have had my last few deliverys, no messing around and good prices.

Just checked on Fueltool, 43.6p/Ltr - quite a jump since ordering in Nov. From memory it was around 34p/Ltr
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:23:53 am by ZacB »

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:33:25 am »
We used the oil club once and while it was a little cheaper they took payment twice out of my bank account and it took quite a few phone calls to get it refunded.
Anne

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:30:03 am »
We used the oil club once and while it was a little cheaper they took payment twice out of my bank account and it took quite a few phone calls to get it refunded.

The oil club don't take any money from the individual here. Everyone pays the supplier direct.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS