Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencers wrecked field...  (Read 1964 times)

mmmkay777

• Joined Oct 2016
Fencers wrecked field...
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:11:13 am »
We've just had the fencers in, they have made a lovely fence. They have also wrecked the fields grass. It's part of the garden. So it is basically mud now - approx area 40mx20m. So should I wait a couple of months for it to dry out a bit before doing anything?
I have a rotivator and I have a small harrow - should I just harrow it then hand throw grass seed down? Or if it is just mud will it need rotivating  then seeding. Is it ok just to throw seeds down? Do I need to keep the birds off??

Thanks for your help, happy with thefence but not the mud...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Fencers wrecked field...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:18:05 am »
Wait until it's a bit drier and harrow it level if it's lumpy, then leave it to grow back.  It will, and it won't take long.  You might even find that the rain will level it for you.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:13 am »
Last year I had a patio done and they wrecked my field by driving across it with a mini digger and dumper. It was so wet and rutted that at one stage they tipped the dumper over.

I could have cried at the state of it but now you wouldn't know that anything had been there at all :-)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:45:50 pm »
remember the seasons - there are four seasons in the year - it takes roughly 3 months for things to sprout and three to grow and three to cut and die.

See if your garden look nice next year and maybe make a complaint if if aint?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:43 am »

If you organise machinery to come and do work on your land in the middle of winter, the result is inevitable.

I think you would get short shrift if you attempt to complain.

If you don't want to rut / chew up your land, organise work to be done at a dry time. eg spring , summer , autumn  or as conditions dictate.

As others have said, grass is very resilient,  when things dry up a bit, give it a good harrowing, chuck a bit of grass seed on if, harrow again once , roll and it will be good as new before you know it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:22:47 pm by stufe35 »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:39 am »
If it was good grass beforehand it should come back ok. If it is very deep then you may get some weed coming through too so may need to get some weed killer/ fertiliser on it. If it was a bit weak anyway then some seed on top and a harrow over it.
Rotovating it more likely to bring weed seeds to the surface and it will take a long long time to regain a smooth pasture. It is always too wet or too dry for fencing at least it is done now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS