Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walking Holiday Recommendations.  (Read 2976 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Walking Holiday Recommendations.
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:57 am »
I walked the WHW last year with my two spaniels and my friend.  I'd love to do something similar again, and I've been working on my fitness so feel very incentivised.

I'd like to do the WHW again, but my friend doesn't want to and indeed the last leg to fort William is a let down and a pointless trudge.

Can you recommend a walk of similar length and difficulty for a fattie (getting thinner!), a 67 year old fittie and two mental spaniels.... a little worried about cliffs as I have a fear the spaniels would run off them!

xxx

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Walking Holiday Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:51 am »
Try https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml for some ideas, some of the long distance paths can be joined together to make a longer journey or you can pick a home base and walk others in stages. 

I'm doing the Fife Coastal Path with a friend on the basis of one stage per month as that's how often we meet up.  But I'm also aiming at the Great Glen Way at some point, which has the benefit to you of starting where you finished last time around. 

You could also start the EHW from the end of the WHW, make it a whole HW, then add the Dava or Speyside routes to take you right to the coast the next time!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:47:21 am »
We did the C 2 C a few years ago, excellent walk. The only coastal bit is the last few miles to Bay

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:53:37 am »
The south west coast path is very long but can be done in stages. We often walk sections of it in South Devon. There are lots of places to stop and several luggage transfer companies in the area. Another option is the Two Moors way which goes across Dartmoor and Exmoor, but it can be a bit exposed and rugged, but there is no risk of spaniels falling into the sea!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:38 am »
We did the first bit of the C2C last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. So are continuing from Kirkby Stephen this year. Day 1 St Bees to Ennerdale has about 3 miles along the cliff but you would need dogs on leads for much of the walk anyway.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:56:06 am »
There is a bit of the coast to coast (spikey edge?) which looks terrifying.

I am NOT good with heights and very clumsy and bits of that look like tightrope walking. 

How many "bad bits" are there?

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:52 am »
You are thinking of either Striding edge or Sharp edge on Blencathra.neither are on the walk. We did it with full OS maps (not those silly strip things) and Wainrights guide. We went wrong once, by 50 metres

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:05 pm »
We took the OS map but the silly strip things were OK nearly all of the time.  We went wrong once by 50 metres too!  There are plenty of people doing it May to October so while you can have some solitude you run into the same people over and over and can help each other if needed.

The Lake District stretch is demanding walking for the first 3 or 4 days but very well worth it. The cliff edge at St Bees is well protected and you could cut across inland earlier if you don't like this bit. Or do the middle section Kirkby Stephens onwards first and do the Lake District when you have the confidence

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:46 pm »
St Cuthbert's Way from Melrose (Scottish Borders) to Lindisfarne is lovely, with B&B possible at every stage and no cliffs involved! Some walking on minor roads. WE have done bits and pieces of it, but it can easily be done in under a week. Not quite sure re accommodation with dogs though...

http://www.stcuthbertsway.info/

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:22:49 pm »
Wainwrights coast to coast is awesome. Recommended - and we used the strip maps, an OS map and a sat nav just because we like you were nervous about getting lost on the ridges. We didnt - and we met some amazing people. We did it with a company called contours and they arranged the accommodation and bag transport so it was just a case of putting one foot infront of the other each day.
We did some training before setting off ( 10 mile walks etc) and it was fine.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 02:04:13 pm »
Cotswolds Way
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:42:24 pm »
The Southern Uplands way!
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:12 pm »
I did the Ridgeway some years ago. NOT recommended in a heatwave. We had to keep dropping off the hills to get water as the farms were so short that they weren't giving any away. Lovely walking though and not a cliff in sight.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 12:21:03 pm »
Looks as though it's just me and the dogs.... I'm going to do a couple of walking holidays I've decided and also the Essex Way at weekends xxx

carla78

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 05:58:43 pm »
The Dales Way is a fantastic walking holiday, takes about 6 days if done at a leisurely pace.

I just booked different farmhouse accommodation along the route. It was great.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS