Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent. Piglets without sow  (Read 5277 times)

kazno10

• Joined Mar 2015
Urgent. Piglets without sow
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:42:22 pm »
We have just rescued a load of pigs however tonight we ended up with a box of days old piglets which they hoped the sow had been delivered yesterday. No sows match up to the piglets and I fear they have gone without sooking for 24+ hours. One of the litter has passed away already. We mixed up warm water and sugar and tried to tube them but was unsuccessful. Any ideas?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Urgent. Piglets without sow
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:54 pm »
Presuming the piglets are warm and conscious, will they not take the liquid from a syringe?
What was unsuccessful about tubing them?
Is it possible to get some glucose from an all night chemist or supermarket? Glucose is absorbed faster than sugar, so if they've had nothing for 24+ hours then their energy levels will be getting critically low.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:11:16 am »
If there are any dairy farms nearby go and ask for some colostrum milk from a recently calved cow, it's ok for piglets as a replacement and they can use the nutrients. Warm it up and then use a syringe to get it down their throats, in very small amounts, do not warm in a microwave as this kills off the good bacreria.
You can freeze any excess in an ice cube tray for later use, it will remain good for a couple of months.

I've used it before when I had a piglet that would not suck, it worked fine and after a couple of days the piglet got the idea, it survived ok.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:42 am »
Are any of the lactating sows approachable enough for you to milk them off whilst they're suckling their own litter?  The best solution would be to locate the correct sow and see if she'll accept the piglets.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 03:59:00 pm »
 The original post suggested that the piglets were at least 24 hrs old by last night. So the time for colostrum is well past. I assumed the problem was how to get anything down them.

However, I was interested in what you said Pigsmightfry, that bovine colostrum is of use for piglets as I always believed effective colostrum was very species specific. Have you actually used it on newborns, or just on piglets a bit older to supplement what they got from the sow?

Kazno10 - I'm fascinated to know the story behind these piglets/! Have you managed to save any?
How come you rescued sows and some piglets that weren't with their mother? Did the mother get delivered in time?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 04:25:38 pm »
If they are over 24 hrs old and haven't had colostrum it would be a good idea to give them yoghurt with water and honey, warm water. As this will put the bacteria into their guts, we have done this with both calves and lambs with great success. Hope you get it sorted soon and I am sorry to hear about this, although I will say well done for rescuing them. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 05:11:27 pm »
I've successfully reared piglets on a bottle and goats milk, although these were two days old when I had them so had colostrum off their mother.
I would have suggested warming the piglets before offering feed as if they are chilled through they are unlikely to suck.
It's been a day or two now....hope some survived  :fc:

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:26 pm »
Bovine colostrum can be given to both piglets and lambs, it's not necessarily about time although the mother tends to produce most of it in the first 24 hours, it's more about getting some colostrum into their stomachs to boost their immune system in the first couple of days and give them a good kick start.
I've used it a couple of times on dopey piglets who are keen to suckle but can't seem to get themselves latched on, I've also bottle fed one for a couple of days that was not getting enough milk, it worked and kept them going until they sorted themselves out.
Having said all that I've never raised a piglet completely on the bottle, this would be rather difficult as you would need to constantly be feeding it.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 06:25:17 pm »
I think we are all intrigued to hear the story behind this post. Bottle feeding piglets isn't generally that successful. Best to get them drinking from a shallow bowl and get them onto a good creep feed. Some creep for very young pigs still has antibiotics added I think and if you get this far with these ones then it would be worth looking around.

I'm guessing you been too busy to give us an update but we are all looking forward to one and hoping it has good news in it  :fc:

Vey

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:25:29 pm »
I have successfully bottle reared piglets so it can be done.

1 - get an ordinary human feeding bottle and a human teat
2 - if you can get live (not pasteurised) goat's milk, do. Unpasteurised cows milk does well also. move heaven and earth to get fresh, unpasteurised milk.
3 - piglets are small - the milk must be the perfect temperature, blood temperature
4 - feed every two hours, day and night until they are growing very well
5 - they will not take more than one or two ounces to start with.
6 - if they take almost nothing, try again in half an hour.
7 - vet for antibiotics if they scour
8 - keep them constantly warm - about 20c.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:21:22 pm »
Has anyone ever tried raising piglets for the first few days using a multi-teated bucket, such as those used for calves and lambs?  My piglets have always been raised by a sow but feeding a whole litter every two hours at first would be exhausting.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:30:39 pm »
Has anyone ever tried raising piglets for the first few days using a multi-teated bucket, such as those used for calves and lambs?  My piglets have always been raised by a sow but feeding a whole litter every two hours at first would be exhausting.

Absolutely exhausting which is probably why it is suggested you get them taking milk from a shallow tray.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 05:31:40 pm »
I never fed my hand reared ones every two hours. Last feed at 11 ish and then again 5.30/6. I had them under an electric hen type chick brooder in the back room.

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:52 pm »
How are the piglets getting on, we are all waiting for an update?

Waula

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 08:12:25 pm »
I reared 5 4hr old piglets back in April. Everyone told me they would die. None of them did! I used pig milk powder in syringes to start with, then onto my kids old bottles then onto lamb bottles on feeding racks. They did amazingly and three are off to slaughter this week! The other two girls are in pig. It is all totally possible!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS