Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CAE and kids  (Read 2232 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
CAE and kids
« on: January 16, 2017, 07:46:11 pm »
Before I phone the vet and confuse them (when I've called about goats before eg RE FEC I have run into problems because I have not been clear on what I was asking)...

My two dairy goats were CAE tested on 17/03/16 (by previous owner).

They are both in kid. One is due 11/04/17 and the other is due 04/05/17.

So I have to get my adults tested before 17 March?

And will this cover kids until 17/03/18 (or 12 months from test) so they'll be covered up to 10 and 11 months of age? Or will they be covered until they are 12 months old? Suppose it's not relevant as adults will need to be tested by 17/03/18 so may as well get them all tested together. I'll keep some if not all the kids.

In terms of the blood sample, can I take this myself? Or can I take goats to vet? I wouldn't be keen to transport them during pregnancy though... Or do I simply have to get the vet to come to the goats?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: CAE and kids
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:03 pm »
When you bought the goats were your premises already inspected and registered for CAE?  If not, they would have lost their certification when you moved them and you need to reapply for it. 

If your premises are certified, then yes, they need to be tested by 17 March and my understanding of the rules are that youngsters under 18 months do not need to be tested.   I don't know if you can take the blood samples yourself, I get the Vet to come to me to take them.

If your certification body is SRUC I suggest you check out their web site and/ or talk to them first to be clear on what is needed then phone the Vet to ask precisely for what is needed, e.g two blood samples before 17 March.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:14 pm »
I take it you are not talking about CAE accreditation?

For the usual BGS CAE annual test, to have continuity it would be helpful to have your goats tested on or before the date they were tested last, so you need to do them before 17/3/17. Also best to do the adults BEFORE the kids are due, in the unlikely event of the dam not surviving the birth the kids are still covered on their dam's certificate until they turn 1yo. Once you have two years of consecutive clear tests you can apply for the BGS monitored scheme, which will reduce your testing to every two years, rather than every year - a significant cost saving once your herd builds up. Info on the BGS website.

However if you are not interested in BGS monitored scheme, then you test them whenever - for shows and matings etc you need to have a valid CAE certificate from within the last 12 months.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:25 pm »
As Anke said, annual testing you can do anytime ie. enough time to get certificate back before show entry or goats to male.I would say give your self about a month. Most people do it in the first four months of the year. As Anke said best to do it when girls in kid then the kids have their cae certificate  if something happens to the mother. Kids ie travel to shows on mothers cae certificate and get the kids tested from a year old. BGS monitored you can join so only need to test every 2nd year.Forms(links below) for both options free to download and print off from BGS website
https://www.britishgoatsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BGS-Non_Monitored-Herd_08.05.2013.pdf
https://www.britishgoatsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BGS-MonitoredHerd_2013.pdf
SAC accredited normally issue you a certificate annually and tell you when a test is due but most dairy and pygmy goats do the BGS scheme. BGS members get a discount on lab fees. Fill in form give to vet who takes blood sample and vet posts to sac st boswells put your email on so you get results back quicker.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:42:15 pm by Talana »

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:01:30 pm »
Thanks all. Vet booked to come and take samples. BGS form printed.

:thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS