Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary lamb tags  (Read 6435 times)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Temporary lamb tags
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »
You can buy Shearwell ''Set Tags'' that are fine for day old lambs and contain all the info required for the Wilts soc & the DEFRA stuff ----
1 set of tags , 79p/pair all done (used to use them for just this purpose when we did all that pedigree malarkey)

Of course the society doesn't help having a DEFRA # a pedigree # & a flockbook number can be a bit confusing (as well as pointless)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:57 pm »
Just in case it helps, the attached pic shows what a SET tag looks like with pedigree information added.

The letters are too small to read until you have the sheep caught, but once you have, they're legible enough. So, SET tags right from the beginning this year then. That should keep things nice and simple :thumbsup: .

Of course the society doesn't help having a DEFRA # a pedigree # & a flockbook number can be a bit confusing (as well as pointless)

With zwartbles, you can keep both numbers the same if you wish (it's personal choice, as long as the numbers are unique). So, for example our old tup was UK0544064/00087, and his zwartbles number was 00741-087A, where 00741 is the ZSA flock number, and A is the year of birth. So if your breed society will allow you to use non-sequential numbers, that could be worth considering to keep things simple?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:16:54 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:02 pm »
You can buy Shearwell ''Set Tags'' that are fine for day old lambs and contain all the info required for the Wilts soc & the DEFRA stuff ----
1 set of tags , 79p/pair all done (used to use them for just this purpose when we did all that pedigree malarkey)

I've used set tags before (but Richie brand) for the Wilts soc tags...I love set tags but as you know, because of all the info you have to put on the tag, it's hard to read the numbers unless you've got hold of the animal.  Leaf tag numbers much easier to see by eye or binocular.  I thought there might be an easy way round my dilemma but alas no.  I think I'll just use the set tags again with the not-so-easy-to-read-numbers as it's the most time and cost effective option. The set tags seems to stay in OK too.

couann

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 11:27:27 pm »
use a collar with a tag.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 03:10:38 pm »
I used the padlock tags for the first time last year.  Seemed like a good idea in theory but I found them very difficult to insert, maybe my lambs have tough ears, I dunno.  I also lost 10% of them.  Going back to SET tags at 24 hours now.  The pedigree thing must be a right pain in the butt - do the society allow you to have that on a separate tag?

myclubtags

• Joined Feb 2019
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 06:26:03 pm »
Probably a bit late for this topic of conversation, but I manufacture these little padlock tags in Selkirk, in my retirement !! www.myclubtags.net is the website and it's mainly for sports club tagging, however I do mention Padlock tags too. Please call us about them if interested and we can point you in the right direction.
01750 700029 - thanks, Brian Eadie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS