Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Courgette fruit not growing  (Read 28520 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Courgette fruit not growing
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:33:37 am »
I have 2 fruit on my first courgette in the greenhouse in a large pot. the fruit seem to have stopped growing and the first is getting all soft. What have I done wrong, too much , too little water, nutrients??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Courgette fruit not growing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:19:48 pm »
It's just that they haven't been pollinated. Most of our early courgettes do that, until some male flowers appear plus some bees, or you get out your little paintbrush and do the pollinating. Equally frustrating is when only male flowers appear.  If you know you have only female flowers, cut the tiny courgettes and eat them before they can go soggy.  You will soon have dozens.......
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:18:14 pm »
huh!  mine arent even flowering yet!!
Little Blue

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »
If you know you have only female flowers..........

Seriously, that's fascinating! How do you tell the sex of a courgette flower then?  ???   Also, does it mean you can't have one plant on its own, or can it pollinate itself?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:36:33 pm »
The female flowers have a little bump behind them ;D

I am the proud owner/grower of three teeny weeny baby cucumbers.  Does the same principle apply?  I always thought that they wouldn't even start to swell if they hadn't been pollinated?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:06:24 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »
I cut 2 today about 5",
MALE AND FEMALE FLOWERS ON ONE PLANT USUALLY.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:23:32 am »
Yes, the male flower of a courgette has just a short thin stalk, but the female flower has a mini courgette behind the flower - in other words, the female flower turns into the courgette, the male flower just does the pollinating.  Squashes and pumpkins are the same and none will produce fruit without pollination. Each plant produces both male and female flowers but you are more likely to get good fertilisation with several plants as there is more chance of there being both male and female fowers out at the same time with several to choose from.  As well as using a paintbrush to aid pollination, you can pick a male flower, remove its petals and rub the pollen directly into the female flower.
Cucumbers are different in that there are modern all female varieties which don't require pollination and in fact the fruit of these becomes bitter if pollinated.  Occasionally these do produce male flowers which have to be removed before they open (mine did that this year).  Old fashioned and outdoor cucumbers have male and female flowers which I think are left to pollinate themselves but I have never grown them so I don't know for sure.  The female cucumber flower has the tiniest ever cucumber behind it, which quickly grows.
Yep - you can't get away from sex, even in the veggie garden  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 10:52:51 am »
I read in my Hessayon Expert veg book (great book) that greenhouse cucumbers you should remove the male flower as fertilised cucumbers are bitter, but with outdoor cucumbers you leave it on.

Now, how do I remember if my plant is an indoor or outdoor one  ???   ;D   :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »
Yep - you can't get away from sex, even in the veggie garden  :o

... teaching "plants" to kids at work today, asked if they knew that plants reproduce sexually?  One boy piped up "Its that like when the roots touch?!"
ah, bless!!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:58:03 pm »
never had an issue with that  - my courgettes always did what they were supposed to!, until last year - no maturing fruit at all, must have been only male flowers...Got the paintbrush out and ready for tomorrow! It's like with birds, there are so much more of the males and I wonder what they are good for - you only need 1 for 10 girls!  ;D ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 01:05:13 pm »
If you already have "fruit" ie the courgette then it has already been fertilised surely?  I always find that the first one or two get to about 3 or 4 inches then go soggy like yours.  Then I panic thinking I won't get any courgettes, then I get deluged with them!  Keep calm, don't panic - they are on their way!  :yum:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:37 pm »
 ;D this didn't happen last year but hopefully will now!
Do you know if it is mainly the male flowers then which the Italians pick to stuff and eat? I certainly get lots of those but only one or 2 female with knobbly bit on each plant so far, paintbrush did the job this morning i hope :&>

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »
When I have had stuffed courgette flower they have always come with a courgette attached!  So I guess it's the female ones.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »
I might be a stupid question but is it rot? too much water getting on the end of the courgette where it touches the soil?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »
no, FWS, the plant is in a pot and the fruit are not touching anything...they look like wilting rather, going yellow and soft :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS