Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: thinking of starting up a small meat flock, for household only!  (Read 8977 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: thinking of starting up a small meat flock, for household only!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 09:43:48 am »
Out of interest I googled CCdR, my what pretty birds - how hardy are they? By that I mean some breeds will be out ranging (obviously not at the moment) whatever the weather and some will just stay inside and sulk!

very hardy never go in their coup although under cover happy to be outside especially in -1 temp this morning
so the plan, i weigh my the birds every 3 weeks and wont breed until they reach standard weight
i will be breeding to standard and hopefully create a good flock
i will put the females back to the sire and use the best male offspring according to weight at 16 week (rest go in freezer) to form a new smaller flock putting him back to the original females
ive played around with egg layers but feel this is a great opportunity to develope a flock that is pretty critical

towards end of the year i will be giving away a trio of birds to help distribute the breed

PR
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:12 am »
Out of interest I googled CCdR, my what pretty birds - how hardy are they? By that I mean some breeds will be out ranging (obviously not at the moment) whatever the weather and some will just stay inside and sulk!

very hardy never go in their coup although under cover happy to be outside especially in -1 temp this morning
so the plan, i weigh my the birds every 3 weeks and wont breed until they reach standard weight
i will put the females back to the sire and use the best male offspring according to weight at 16 week (rest go in freezer) to form a new smaller flock putting him back to the original females
ive played around with egg layers but feel this is a great opportunity to develope a flock that is pretty critical

towards end of the year i will be giving away a trio of birds to help distribute the breed

PR
Whereabouts are you based? :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 11:29:28 am »
I Googled Coucou de Rennes and I'm sure the third image in the top line of photographs is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. 

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 12:05:51 pm »

PR

i live in leeds

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:10 pm »

PR

i live in leeds
Ah right. Well I think you would be a bit too far from me. Would be intrigued to hear how you do with them though :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:41 pm »
cou cou de rennes

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 12:10:44 pm »
Truly beautiful creatures. They kind of remind me a bit of the maran :)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29:46 pm »
I believe they are marans ancestors(?)

How meaty are they now?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 12:30:18 pm »
I contacted the poultry club of britain and they are putting me in contact with the leading breeder of the cou cou de rennes in the UK, so hopefully this may turn up something? :)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 01:36:14 pm »
I contacted the poultry club of britain and they are putting me in contact with the leading breeder of the cou cou de rennes in the UK, so hopefully this may turn up something? :)

where you based
ye i know the breed registrar

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 01:39:18 pm »

How meaty are they now?
the cock bird is 2.9kg at 21 weeks
although been cooped us hasnt helped
i will be looking to change adapt feed for the chicks that come through try and get them a bigger size
but they are what they are and lookin forward to getting some on the table

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:31 pm »

where you based
ye i know the breed registrar
Ceredigion, 11 miles south of Aberystwyth to be precise :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »
They remind me of the Scots Grey - rare and a native breed.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
yes they are very much like them

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 06:55:31 pm »
Well if they're anything like my marans and they do look like Cuckoo Marans, they'll just love being outside. When might you be selling hatching eggs Princess?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS