Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best pasture mixture and when to seed?  (Read 1697 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Best pasture mixture and when to seed?
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:52:25 am »
What would be the best sheep pasture seed mix? And when would be the best time to seed the ground?
Would rotovating the ground do any good before or is it better not to?
That's the most varied seed mix I came across:
http://www.meadowmania.co.uk/grass-seed/grass-seed-mix-for-goat-grazing-sp5-1-acre.htm
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Best pasture mixture and when to seed?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:05 pm »
I use these guys

http://www.barenbrug.co.uk/products.asp?menu_id=5

The guy I spoke to (kevin) very helpful & knowledgeable.

You can overseed end of March  (you want soil temp of at least 7 degrees)

Don't cut for hay in first year but can graz after about 6 weeks. Don't leave sheep on too long a time cos they'll graze it too short (cattle bit longer).

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:48:59 pm by BenBhoy »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Best pasture mixture and when to seed?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:28:02 pm »
The ground can benefit from chain harrowing to roughen the surface, especially if it's been grazed over the Winter.  If you know of a traditional hay meadow locally ask if you can have some of the hay immediately it's been cut (after mid July) and just strew it around your field.  You could also ask local contacts if you can gather seeds from their set-aside land or beetle banks if there are any, as these will probably be plants that are locally native and likely to thrive in your particular environment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS