Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent: Piglet falling over  (Read 2009 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Urgent: Piglet falling over
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:26:33 am »
Hi all,

I know this site is for the more serious smallholder but I hope you don't mind me asking an urgent question about my micro pigs
I wondered if anyone can help me as something is wrong with one of my piglets and I've no idea what could be wrong. I'm going to call a vet shortly but wondered if anyone had experienced this before and had any recommendations?

I took home 2 micro piglets 3.5 weeks ago. They came from a very reputable breeder, who has breed smaller pigs for years, they were raised and weaned at the appropriate time and seemed happy and healthy when they arrived. They're about 4.5 months old.

They are currently sleeping in a pen in our conservatory as it's too cold outside and our barn is leaking like a sieve. They've been let outside almost daily except when it's been really too cold and have been eating fine.

The boy (Elvis) is robust and a bit of a bully to his sister, I've seen some nudging and a bit of biting but they also get on well as they won't be separated. However, Rosie over the last few days keeps getting stiff legs and is finding it difficult to get up from a sleeping position. She also seems to go stiff (all legs) and fall over if she gets stressed or frightened (so if he knocks her over while trying to get to food). It happened once or twice over a few days and I've been keeping an eye on her but it is definitely getting more and more regular. She's still eating (pig pellets), has access to fresh water all the time, has appropriate bedding and access to the outside. I've been reading books and online but she doesn't show any other symptoms they describe such as a cracked dry nose, hunched up back etc etc.

Please does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? She is very much a pet but we can't wait to move them permanently outside to live the good piggy life on our 4 acres. I'm just really worried about her. Is it stress because he's bullying, is she ill?

I have left a message for the breeder to call me back but in the meantime, any and all help gratefully received
Thanks
Nic
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:41:08 am by Chicken_House »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Piglet falling over
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:30:19 am »
Vet is the best course of action for a young pig showing unusual behaviour.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Urgent: Piglet falling over
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:18 am »
I completely agree with Marches Farmer. Whilst people can offer experience and advice when an animal is ill and stressed you must seek a vets advice. You don't need to do an eaml2 to visit the vet if the pig doesn't come off the trailer.

You say you have a boar? Is he castrated? If not, that is something else you are going to have to deal with and need to talk to your vet about too.

Without going anywhere near the micro pig debate a pig is a pig and they are designed to live outdoors, which they will do perfectly well with the proper housing, bedding and fencing. I would make this a priority once you have your weaner sorted out.

I hope she is going to be OK. Let us know how she gets on and this site is for everyone and you will find some really good advice and information on here.  :fc:

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:22:38 am »
Thank you for the kind words. We're off to the vet in half an hour.
X

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:29:59 am »
Taking their temperature would always be one of my first steps, this is also usually important to mention when you call a vet, so s/he can assess the urgency for coming out.

A raised temperature is usually the sign of a bacterial infection, but pigs can also be affected (like humans) by viruses which often do not cause a high temperature.

I am sure the vet will be able to give you some more info on how to keep them healthy.

Do you know their and their dam's vaccination schedule?

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:38:58 pm »
Please let us know how the vets goes.

Hope she gets better soon  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS