Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Autosocks" for driving in snow  (Read 1987 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
"Autosocks" for driving in snow
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »
A big shout out to "Autosocks" for getting me to work this morning (sorting me out after I couldn't get up a steep hill), and for saving me a three mile walk home this evening in the snow!  :thumbsup:

If you've not heard of them before, Autosocks are basically fabric snow chains that fit over your tyres. To fit them, you put them over the wheel as best you can, then roll forward or back half a turn so you can get them completely over (this is really easy). Once in place, there is some elastic around the open edge (against the back of the tyre) that keeps them in position.

A set costs about £50, and though I've had them in the boot of the car for seven or eight years, I'd never actually used them until today (I usually take the Landrover in dodgy weather, but badly misjudged things this morning).

I was absolutely amazed at how well they worked. I got up two hills tonight that had defeated several other cars. Actually, the first one defeated me too until I stopped to put the socks on.

Performance wise, they were very nearly as good as the winter tyres I had on my old car, and even though they were only on the front wheels, they gave the car a really nice 'planted' feel when driving on some very slippery surfaces.

The drawback with them is that you have to take them off again once you're back on cleared roads, or you'll wear them out very quickly. That means they're not going to help you for patches of black ice etc. However, as a 'get you home' solution in snowy weather, they worked perfectly for me today. In total, I've driven about eight miles with them on today, without causing any significant wear.

Needless to say, I have no connection with the manufacturers or sellers, but I'm one relieved and happy bunny tonight! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:04:18 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
Re: "Autosocks" for driving in snow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:18:23 pm »
Work on the same principle as the advice to take your socks off and put them on over the tops of your shoes if you're ever slipping about on icy footpaths.

Good to hear these are useful - spoke to another bloke who recommended them a little while back.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: "Autosocks" for driving in snow
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:04 pm »
Glad you got home safely, and thanks for posting.  If I still lived in Cumbria I'd have bought them. 

The folks here were very excited when our local forecast suggested we might get snow today.  It didn't even lie here in 2011 when the whole of the country was white, except for Cornwall looking like a big toe sticking out of a hole in a sock.

(Hope I haven't just jinxed myself and won't get up to white roads and unable to get to weaving Guild tomorrow!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS