Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe behaving like a tup  (Read 1655 times)

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
Ewe behaving like a tup
« on: January 10, 2017, 12:12:53 pm »
I have an older ewe that I bought a couple of years ago, she has never had a lamb since being with me, I was told when i bought her that she had lambed before. Everything else is in lamb so I know my tup isn't the problem.
He shows interest in her, but has never actually tupped her... ever.
I have decided to cull her as she has scanned empty again but have been watching her closely over the last few weeks and she has been behaving very tup like, but only with my tup. She head butts him, licks him and behaves almost like she wants to mount him. 
Does anyone know what would cause this?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe behaving like a tup
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 12:30:32 pm »
 :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:35:09 pm »
I doubt she's ever lambed, she sounds like the sheep version of a freemartin.  It's not very common but does happen.  Our shearer pointed out the first one I ever saw; he exclaimed, "She's a man!" as he clipped her, and showed us that her udder area was as flat and undeveloped as a wether's, and her facial features were less feminine than those of her peer group.  I've seen it a few times since.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:18:48 pm »
Does sound as though her hormones are up the creek.  I wonder what the ram thinks of it all ....?

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »
He seems to really like her! They spend all their time together!! 
If she she wasn't such a pain in the ass to catch and handle I would keep her as his summer time buddy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS