Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Watch Out for Schmallenberg  (Read 5919 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Watch Out for Schmallenberg
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:47:15 am »
Our scanner came in on Sunday and said some of the early lambing flocks he deals with had seen some cases of Schmallenberg.  There was speculation last year that it could be circulating over the Summer but I didn't see any mention of vaccination.  Mine were done after the last outbreak (when we had one case before the vaccine became available).

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Watch Out for Schmallenberg
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:12:13 am »
A local vet reported a suspected case last week (South Wales).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 05:21:32 pm »
Oh, dear!  Something to bear in mind if you can't get the lamb out in a fairly straightforward manner.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:35:37 pm »
Oh no not another deadly disease, first bird flu then this :( hope it doesnt spread any further.....
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:12 pm »
The sheep would have got the disease due to a bite from a culicoides midge over last Summer.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:26:58 pm »
in general sheep who are infected are asymptomatic and it is only pregnant ewes who are at risk of having a lamb affected.  I understand if memory serves me right it is primarily those who are infected in the first trimester of pregnancy. Infection at any other time of the year results in an immune sheep.

I have taken the decision for a number of reasons not to put my ewe lambs in lamb one reason  by giving them an extra tme  period to get infected they are less likely to produce schmallenberg lambs. those who farm commercially may prefer to use a vaccine.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
Vets warning of the disease seen in early calving and lambing in Herefordshire.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 05:14:49 pm »
Apparently several cases have been confirmed in Carmarthenshire/ceredigion in the last few days but don't know any details

Regen

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 06:35:51 pm »
What are the symptoms/birth colouring/looks of the abortion/aborted animal?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:33:34 pm »
not what i wanted to see on a thread on a forum after getting in :(

fookdy fook :(

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »
First lambing of the season today... aborted  lambs 3 or 4 weeks early. Got me thinking about this thread.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 07:36:24 pm »
What are the symptoms/birth colouring/looks of the abortion/aborted animal?

IIRC, no real symptoms in the mother, and the youngster is sort of distorted. Legs curled tightly or curled the wrong way, face looking odd, that kind of thing. Varies a lot in severity too, so I guess could be confused with a boring old "oh that went a bit wrong" lamb. Images on Google, if you specify Schmallenburg *virus* (otherwise you get pretty pictures of a Swiss town).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 09:33:25 am »
We had to have the vet in to a lambing the last time Schmallenberg was here.  The lamb had a twisted spine and my daughter noticed it wasn't breathing properly.  The vet euthanased it and did a PM on the spot, to find part of its lower rib cage on one side was missing.  He took the lamb away and Schmallenberg was later confirmed.   It can present in different ways but it's something to bear in mind if you have trouble getting a lamb out - if the lamb isn't the "right" shape it may be that that's causing the problem.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 08:13:18 am »
I had a ewe abort two days ago and I believe it could be schmallenburg. If I get any more I will have tested. :(  I'm in Surrey

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 08:36:02 am »
Our vet said it had been occurring in pockets over Herefordshire, just depending on whether an affected cloud of midgets had been on a farm at the wrong time.  The only farm close to us that's had a couple of SBV lambs is in a sheltered valley - I'm hoping this may be one of those times we're glad to be on a windy hilltop.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS