Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can't find any chickens HELP!  (Read 7213 times)

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Can't find any chickens HELP!
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
Hi Greenfingers here again.
We now have our very posh chicken shed that my hubby has built for me and the run is now all fenched in.  The shed is 5* a bit like the Dorchester.
The problem is we can't find any chickens.  We missed a clear out at a battery farm by about 4 hours and they will not have any more for 4 months or so.  The ScotAds this week only seem to have ducks etc and a place up on the coast that also sells on Ebay, probably the other eggs bought as is big business for them now, want £11 each for a point of lay, expensive or what??????.
Does anyone know where I could get any from within a reasonable distance to me on the Moray Firth, about 60 miles from both Aberdeen and Inverness.
Elaine :chook:
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Can't find any chickens HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:16:06 pm »
I have to say £11 for  POL pullet is just about the going rate. I paid £8.50 at the market a couple of months ago; I know some folk who have just paid £18 for  POL Black Rock. Demand is outstripping supply, I think.

In Adtrader this week there were Black Rocks and ISA Browns for £2.50 and £5 respectively - the ISA Browns are 24 weeks but it doesn't say how old the Black Rocks are. It's  Lanark number 01555 892562

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:17:06 pm »
Sorry - I didn't read the post properly re location.

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »
hi, i recently got two hens but struggled to get locally, i did buy the practical poultry mag from WHS Smith, they had these listed, i did email two up your neck of the woods - www.happyhenhoose.co.uk , 01542841100 moray/banffshire, Fir tree Chooks, Aberdeenshire http://fir-tree-chooks.mysite.orange.co.uk, AK Poultry  www.poultrybyak.co.uk, Aberdeenshire, i got mine from lothian in the end.  You may want to visit your local agricultural shop as sometimes they have adverts in the shop or know the local hens keepers. I think the pet shop in Elgin has an interest in birds and may have info.  Ps I live in Central Scotland but my sister lives near Elgin so that is why i know the area.

good luck

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:15:11 pm »
We now have a family.  We managed to buy a Light Sussex and 8 chicks on Sunday, the chicks were 4 days old when we got them.  She is now called Betty, we also managed to get 2 young Black Rods,  I think, they are now called Phyllis and Dilys .  We found an advert at the local wholesale pet food place at Aultmore, just sheer luck, but we will be visiting Thainstone next month anyway just to see whats on offer, we have room for 2 more.
Thanks for the help though.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »
Hi, Elaine

They are probably Black Rocks. However, folk are now selling black hens as Black Rocks - check the website www.theblackrock.co.uk for more information.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS