Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So... I've acquired some pavers....  (Read 1059 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
So... I've acquired some pavers....
« on: January 12, 2017, 06:38:56 am »
They were free to good home on freecycle.

The idea, for me being that I could use them to create a small path between the allotment and the feed shed.

Now, of course it's come to the time I actually have to do this I am more nervous... and looking at a load of videos where fit young builders sneeze and perfect paths appear hasn't made it better.

I live on clay and a short path would be useful and aesthetically pleasing.

I am the luckiest person as I have unlimited supplies of offcut wood as my bestest friend has a joinery shop near by.

So this is as I understand it.... I need to dig out 8inches, put in 3 inches of gravel and one of sand, put in edging and then bobs your uncle and fannies your aunt.  I need to put a weed suppressant underneath... and, horror of horrors, I usually use ewe nut bags for that.  I need to lay out the path before hand somewhere else.... for the avoidance of doubt, I doubt I could do a herringbone because of the paver cutting so it's a straight path with me hoping I have enough half cut bricks.

Any advice, any easier ways.... nervous but not yet beaten!   :excited:

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: So... I've acquired some pavers....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:26:18 am »
We used pavers to make a small patio to put a greenhouse on.
We have clay too. We only dug a few inches down compacted the earth.
Small gravel pieces then a little sand and on top of that we mixed cement and sand put it down dry levelled it.

We then put the pavers on and levelled them and then used the hose with a sprinkler setting watered the pavers.

It has worked well and is solid. I hope it helps. We had never done anything like this before and just watched youtube

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:50:18 pm »
Depebds whether you want to walk on it or drive a tank across it at regular intervals.  I'd dig down a brick's depth, tamp the bottom level with a section of 5-inch fencepost, put a thin layer of sand on top and lay the pavers two horizontal then two vertical and so on, using probably three sets and starting in a different direction each row.  Brush cement over and water in.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 08:21:05 am »
Thank you SO MUCH.  This seem so much simpler! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS