Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yearling cob pony - Selby/ Goole area. £100  (Read 6537 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Yearling cob pony - Selby/ Goole area. £100
« on: November 27, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »
 If anything this could be why I advised in the previous post not to share winter grazing.

Last spring I had plenty of grass on one field so reluctantly agreed to graze a couple of horses for a month. The new grass was slow in growing so I asked the owner to take them off at the end of the month. Then I got the hard luck tale of how there was nowhere else for them to go. Not my problem, but you still feel mean insisting that the animals have to go. So then the owner tried to sell me a 6 month old colt  foal for £600. I declined. So he asked me if I would look after the foal for him. I said "Yes" if he provided the food for it. He declined. (Expected me to look after it for nothing!)
 Eventually after a lot of pleading and haggling it was decided (by him) that he would give me the foal in return for the grazing. I wanted an entire, unchipped foal with no passport like I wanted a hole in the head but I wanted him and his horses gone even more, so I agreed to take the foal. So he went, and I was left with Toby.

So I've had Toby for the last 7 months, and he's turned out to be a really nice little animal. He's black and white and a typical hairy, well built, friendly gypsy cob. He should make 13.2 - 14hh and would make someone a smart ride or drive pony. He lives with my donkeys and has been well handled and halter trained and will load himself into a trailer, as I frequently change fields.

He is for sale at £100 as he is, but I can get him castrated, chipped and passported at purchaser's expense and am happy to keep him till ready to go. He really needs a home where someone has a job for him - which I haven't as my equines of choice are my donkeys and my mule.   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:51:22 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Yearling cob pony - Selby/ Goole area. £100
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:16:42 pm »
Hate to say but by law you cannot sell him without a passport or chipped.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:22 pm »
Read my carefully scripted post Sabrina!
It is actually my intention to find a home for this pony, not start a discussion on the merits or legalities of microchips and passports. (Of which incidentally, having not spent the last 7 years in total isolation,  I am well aware.)

I would have added a few smilies, innocent looks and tongue in cheeks to the above, but for some reason they refuse to be added.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:13:20 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:10 pm »
Not trying to get at you at all. By asking money for him you are selling and could get yourself in trouble.There is also the problem of can you prove he is in fact yours. What if the old owner decides he wants him back. do you have anything in writing to protect yourself. This can happen. I have seen this happen in the past. Not me thank goodness but it can get very messy.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 12:02:39 pm »
Ok Sabrina, I appreciate you have the best of intentions.
 But there are so many people on this forum  who nit pick on posts and bring up things that aren't particularly relevant or helpful to the matter in question. That's why I mentioned in the market place section that I didn't want this post to be used as a soap box for their views on selling animals without a passport.

But - I have an open mind. I'm obviously not going to give Toby away as animals that are obtained for nothing are often treated as worthless, and he is a living, feeling creature that deserves a home that will value him for what he is.
Nor am I going to spend further money on chipping him and passporting him unless I have a home for him.
So what do you suggest I do then?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:32:07 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »
Did you not say that they gave him to you? In that case what is the issue? He is yours so technically you are responsible for the passport and chipping but as you say do it when you have a sale.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 02:24:28 pm »
Exactly!
Thank you Harmony - you're so well named.
Rules are made:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 08:26:54 pm »
 Here's a picture of Toby, taken a few months ago.
Rules are made:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 08:38:33 pm »
So glad im not nearer... he looks a sweetheart

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 09:43:42 am »
 He is Sbom! That's why I took him in. I'm not really a horse person, but he's so sweet and trusting that I didn't want him just tied up on one bit of rough grazing after another with no one really caring for him.
 Like I said, he was about 6 months old when I got him and I don't know where his mother was. She certainly wasn't with him when he was brought onto my land.
 Anyway, to me he was just a baby and wanted treating gently. I don't sell my young donkeys till they are at least 9 months old as I think they learn so much from their mothers. So he's lived with my donkeys ever since and he's well behaved, halter trained and very easy to handle. In fact he doesn't "argue" with me like some of my young donkeys do. I can just lead him anywhere and he follows. Whereas the donkeys will often have a hesitation phase as if to say, "hang on a minute - just let me work out where we're going before I take a step. . "!   
Rules are made:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 06:28:06 pm »
 It's possible Scarlet Dragon. I acquired him a few weeks before Appleby, but then maybe they'd want to make sure the mare's milk had dried up before selling.

Anyway - I've actually got someone coming to look at him this weekend! Possibly I may have mislead him with vague mention of Toby going for meat if I didn't find a suitable home. (Cue for smiley with innocent face, but I can't get them to work)
 So will get him all smartened up and washed and fingers crossed that Toby and prospective buyer hit it off, and that prospective buyer can offer him a good home.
Rules are made:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 07:21:17 pm »
Fingers crossed. Whoever buys him has got a lot of the groundwork done so a bargain! If he came to you several weeks before Appleby, which is in June could he really have been 6 months at that time? Just a thought for his passport.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 02:26:17 pm »

As long as it's not the SPCA...I once advertised one that had been dumped on me (after I'd managed it for several months and spent significant cash putting it right when the police refused to accept it - after they dumped it on me and threatened to prosecute if I left it tied to the police house in the village as lost property) as 'barbecue this weekend must go one way or another'....

Should have just done it and said nothing! :innocent: :excited:
(Great - I've got my smilies working again. :thumbsup: )
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:33:15 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 02:32:10 pm »
Fingers crossed. Whoever buys him has got a lot of the groundwork done so a bargain! If he came to you several weeks before Appleby, which is in June could he really have been 6 months at that time? Just a thought for his passport.

The thought has occured to me, but it would be difficult to prove his exact age now. As far as I'm concerned he was a New Year foal, and is now well grown because of all the care I have lavished on him. :garden:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:34:45 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

RandalllApady

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Poland
    • hello
Yearling cob pony Selby/ Goole area L100
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 10:28:07 am »
Brian

We have a straight 10 box in our trailer and we carry 5 horses head and tailed very easily.  The trailer is also 8 wide.  But they have pleanty of room heck with 14 you could carry 7 head. lol

Are  you guys going to the Ozark???  If so well see ya there.  Have a great season otherwise.

Robbi

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS