Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toilet seat falling down  (Read 14669 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Toilet seat falling down
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 05:03:46 pm »

[/quote]

In which case forget the seat and use a stool
[/quote]

Possibly an unfortunate choice of words?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 06:48:32 pm »

Great ideas so far folks - I especially like the idea of flush-mounted magnets  ;D .

As said either a new carefully selected seat or some fiddling about to alter the one you have. However tightening the hinge pins too much will result in the seat not closing.

That's the weird thing - there's no access to the hinge pins from either side of them. Perhaps they come apart if unscrewed from the seat, but I think it more likely that they're sealed units.

BTW people, how dare you laugh at my predicament?  This is a serious discussion forum don't you know?  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
Off course it is  :roflanim: :roflanim: :wave:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 07:21:46 pm »
Our good friends invited us around last week to allow us to admire their new high tech lounge which has multiple 'mood' setting lighting and curtains that open and shut at the press of a button or from the iPad. I did suggest they just sent me the codes and I could play with the curtains without bothering to drive over....anyway I good bottle of wine was involved so it was worth the trip.

There is some sense in this madness as they can get all this working as if they were at home when Mr Burglar looks in when they are on holiday

So Womble, therein lies the answer, a computer controlled loo seat and flush, or controlled by a sensor on your ingress and egress.

Alternatively, I found last time I replaced my loo seat B&Q do about 12 types with slightly different fittings, different offset of the hinge and bolts to where the seat flips are needed for different loos so I suspect you have the wrong seat for your bowl & cistern. 

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 09:22:18 pm »

BTW people, how dare you laugh at my predicament?  This is a serious discussion forum don't you know?  ;)

No one is taking the P...     honest , how about a bungee cord to hold it in place ?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 11:20:36 pm »
I hate to laugh at other people's expense, but thank you for cheering me up today [member=2128]Womble[/member] I really do appreciate it!  :roflanim: :roflanim:  Hope you get the problem sorted soon! Sorry I can't help :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 11:35:54 pm »
how about a bungee cord to hold it in place ?

What? To free up my hands so I can hold the toilet seat up? I guess that might work!  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 01:03:59 pm »
how about a bungee cord to hold it in place ?

What? To free up my hands so I can hold the toilet seat up? I guess that might work!  ;)

Best yet.  I keep thinking of other consequences...  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

up4it

• Joined Apr 2015
  • France
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 09:02:17 pm »
You could always add a urinal!

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 07:31:06 pm »
Loop a bit o binder twine round the seat and put up a picture hook to hold it up  :roflanim:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 11:14:21 pm »
Loop a bit o binder twine round the seat and put up a picture hook to hold it up  :roflanim:

There speaks a true farmer , baler twine the fix it all solution

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
Just seen this thread, and Womble I recognise the problem exactly as it happened to me when I replaced our toilet seat. I tried many of the solutions suggested (admittedly not the baler twine nor bungee cords) and nothing worked. What I found was that if you are standing doing a pee, I positioned myself at 8 o'clock facing the bowl with a slight flexion of the knees, and used my left knee to prop the toilet seat up. I am 6 foot tall, so if you are shorter you may need to try it at 9 o'clock. With experience it is easy to calibrate. The problem was only resolved when we moved house on 15.10.14.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
......at 8 o'clock.......... try it at 9 o'clock, maybe thats ok for you but sometimes I need to pee at 2am , what position should I assume  :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 05:32:35 pm »
Sorry folks, I'm a bloke.  By the time I've remembered to face in the correct direction, flexion my knees, calibrate the trajectory........ I'll have forgotten what I'm doing, and the damn seat will hit me in the nuts again!  :roflanim:.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »

Duck tape! :&> :&> :&>
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS