Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bulling heifer after being pd.d in calf in December.  (Read 2837 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Bulling heifer after being pd.d in calf in December.
« on: January 08, 2017, 01:05:31 pm »
I have 2 heifers which were AI'd back in October and both Pd'd in calf at the beginning of December. The 3rd heifer didn't take and was bulling Friday.
Now one of the in calf heifers shown no signs of bulling other than some bulling slime and then last night the usual bloody discharge at the end of bulling.

Am I right in thinking she is no longer in calf? Her behaviour stayed exactly the same other than seeing the slime and bloody discharge.

Any help appreciated - I am still a newbie and any advice great fully received.  :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Bulling heifer after being pd.d in calf in December.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:46:37 pm »
I have 2 heifers which were AI'd back in October and both Pd'd in calf at the beginning of December. The 3rd heifer didn't take and was bulling Friday.
Now one of the in calf heifers shown no signs of bulling other than some bulling slime and then last night the usual bloody discharge at the end of bulling.

Am I right in thinking she is no longer in calf? Her behaviour stayed exactly the same other than seeing the slime and bloody discharge.

Any help appreciated - I am still a newbie and any advice great fully received.  :)
We have had some animals which are PD'd in calf and then show signs of bulling later, this can be construed as a false heat. We have also had them sliming and having discharged bloodied slime but all is ok, however I am talking of water buffalo here, it may not be the same with cattle. I would consider getting vet out to check them over in case all not well. Bloodied slime could be an indicator all may not be right..... Could they have picked up an infection at all? Have there been changes in diet/environment?  I hope this helps and could you let me know how you get on?  :thumbsup:
WBF
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:48:11 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:16:46 pm »
Thank you for your help, they are still out and their diet is still the same so I would hope no infection. No bloody discharge today so presumably false heat?

Will call the vet tomorrow to discuss as suggested. I really appreciate your response thank you!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 05:49:43 pm »
If she's bulling then she's likely not in calf...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 06:01:31 pm »
Bulling is often quieter in winter.  Slime then bloody discharge would sound like she's no longer in calf, no.  If it were me, I'd note the date, and have the AI lined up for 21 days after the slime.  The AI fella we used in Cumbria could do PDs, so you could get him to check them then serve them if necessary, within one visit fee ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:07:43 pm »
 I have had an older cow, appear to be bulling about a month before she was due to calve. I cannot remember now if it was blood or slime or both that she produced, but I distinctly remember worrying that after all this time she now appeared not to be pregnant. I did nothing about it and then a month later she calved as normal. So false heats do happen in the course of normal pregnancies.
 I would agree - see what happens in 3 weeks time.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have spoken with the vet and she too advises that she is not in calf. Will be AI'ing again in 3 weeks with my other heifer who didn't take so fingers crossed.

Thank you for your replies, it is much appreciated!

Happy Smallholding  :wave:

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
just had my cows scanned heifer 1444 who has bulled strongly like clockwork since the bull came out in september......... is 5-6 month in calf :D  . she is pretty fat had planned on her being away before now after seeing her bulling . lucky!! for her and me

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS