Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farm gate sales  (Read 3262 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Farm gate sales
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:15:06 am »
Hi guys

We are wanting to sell excess produce at the farm gate this year. Unfortunately we are at a loss what to put it on.

Thought about a table but what about wind and rain?

Can you share some pictures of how you sell again the gate or descriptions?

In need of inspiration to get something built.

Thanks

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Farm gate sales
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:38:12 pm »
Dans, The best display I've seen was in an old painted dresser. It had a lovely display of veggies on the top of the base unit, whilst the cupboards above were filled with egg boxes, crafts etc. HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 07:16:03 pm »
Dans, The best display I've seen was in an old painted dresser. It had a lovely display of veggies on the top of the base unit, whilst the cupboards above were filled with egg boxes, crafts etc. HTH!

What a great idea for an old dresser! Must've looked amazing.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:29 am »
That does sound quite awesome. How can you keep the rain off it though? The rain seems to be my biggest worry with any idea I come up with.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:37 am »
Would you have stuff out on a wet day?   People not likely to get out of car on wet day ..... Or maybe you on walking route to local school?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:01 am »
We had an old 3ftx4ft shed which Collette lovingly painted. I put shelves in and she made bunting, etc. When the door was held open it had a blackboard on which we could put prices etc. We soon developed a regular trade. However some people decided that if it was our excess produce then it must be free. We no longer have our little shop, we take any excess into the pub on a Sunday evening. This season, we will mostly be developing our trade by word of mouth and by taking a selection round to people we know want to buy our stuff. That way tge good folk are grateful and we cover the cost of our seeds. A friend of ours has installed cctv and puts any offenders on facebook

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:07:31 pm »
Not on a school route bug have a company down the road with quite a few employees that go past each day.

OH is worried about rain showers during the day and having to dash ought to get things undercover.

I like the shed idea. I think we will start simple with a potting bench just putting stuff out on dry days and see if anyone buys from us to start! Thanks guys

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »
There is a beautiful little shed out near Shap we saw on the Coast to Coast walk, but not near any roads which are likely to attract the 'it must be free' brigade.  We used to put our eggs out front with an honesty box but about once a year it would get nicked. Now we don't put the box put people either leave the coins under the egg tray or drop it through the letter box.  I've found they only buy when it is cool and dry and the produce must be in the shade on a sunny day. Once the sun hits it people don't trust fresh produce even if you know it's only been there half an hour so I usually put mine out before 8 and bring in any unsold by 11.  I'm not sure fancy displays attract more buyers though, our just sit on a wooden chair with a 'eggs for sale' board and a price.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 09:18:23 am »
We had enough spare eggs last Sunday for the first time in months. We put them on a table in the pub. They were sold in 5 minutes :thumbsup:

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 02:40:40 pm »
We added shelves to an old wood store, covered the roof with dome spare plastic sheeting and it keeps the weather off on all but the worst days. I did fix it to a fence so that it couldn't be toppled over.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS