Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time wasters, again!  (Read 7302 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Time wasters, again!
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:32:22 pm »
I have had these 2 heifers reserved for a lady for 2 months now and every time she makes a new excuse, so today I gave her the ultimatum, if she doesn't collect today as arranged I am offering them to someone else. Thankfully I have 2 people who are interested, but in case that goes south would anyone on here like them? One of them is in calf, calving in June, the other isn't, but can be AI'd. They are both very easy to handle and are halter trained. They were TB tested clear and only have 1 week left to go on their test, before it runs out. Anyone who is interested is welcome to come and see them in their working clothes. Just drop me a PM and we can arrange something! :)
Hope everyone has a good year
Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:37:11 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Time wasters, again!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:18:26 pm »
I do wish you'd stop tempting me with buffalo! ;)

I decided years ago that I don't do cows.... they fight back! and I've got the chunks of bone missing from my shin to prove it. I once spent a few weeks loading and moving cows & calves for a farmer.... never again... those little buggers are the worst.

That said, the idea of a house-cow for milk & cheese does keep coming up, but I think we're still on for trying it with a couple of goats initially.... much more sheep-like in terms of handling.

I hope the other interested parties come through for you.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:16:44 am »
I have been left with a billy because of a stupid time waster via online, like yours, kept making excuses. He's going for meat as soon as I get OH empties van.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:26:22 pm »
I now ask for a deposit up front. Serious buyers don't mind paying it, whilst non-serious buyers aren't of interest to me in any case.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:56 am »
My boy gone today, meat man offered £40 for him, I could have got twice that. He's coming home to freezer. I'll be bleating soon, eating all this goatmeat:-).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:05:46 pm »
I now ask for a deposit up front. Serious buyers don't mind paying it, whilst non-serious buyers aren't of interest to me in any case.
Yes that is very good :) I managed to sell them to another buffalo friend who is increasing her herd, so at least Ik they are going to a good home. People who mess you about you often wonder whether they should be buying them anyway... I know now what I am looking for in buyers.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:06:57 pm »
My boy gone today, meat man offered £40 for him, I could have got twice that. He's coming home to freezer. I'll be bleating soon, eating all this goatmeat:-).
Terrible eh?! I hate how people keep trying to get animals for nothing, it makes me sick.... :rant: Well you know where I am if you want to sell any meat :)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:00:45 pm »
never had an issue with animal sales but when I had livery I had so many time wasters.  Agree ask them for BACS transfer non refundable (unless there is a health issue) most genuine people would be fine with this. Anything over £100 should sort out the wannas from the genuines.

Also when someone agrees to buy I would expect them to collect within a few weeks usually subject to TB test. Again genuine people set a date on shaking hand.

You have to be more of a business person and set it up.  You cant afford to have people messing you around it is a business you run. Everyday they are on your farm they are costing you money.  As my husband says we are surrounded by idiots.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:44:41 pm »
Agree with Farmers Wife that deposits are a must. I would even say remainder before collection or cash on the day so you don't get caught with a deposit but then the next cheque bounces.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 06:21:02 pm »
Completely agree regarding deposits.  And I make it clear if I can't provide the animal on the agreed day it is refundable but it is not refundable should they no show/ change their mind or dither over collection dates beyond the agreed window.  As Farmers wife says it's important to agree a date for the handover, although in some cases when buying or selling for me it's been more along the lines of 'after the tup has been in' or 'when the lambs move onto the summer grazing.  But I always agree a 'no later than' date.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »
I've not had a problem with this but I do make a point of having a fairly long telephone conversation when they first make contact and say they're welcome to take a look at the flock/herd with no obligation to buy.  Once they're on the farm I get a good opportunity to sound them out and have been known, in the case of someone new to keeping that class of stock, for example, to very politely suggest they need to do some reading, go on a course, get their land properly fenced, or whatever else I consider necessary to make sure my stock is going to have (almost) as good a life at its new home. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »

I decided years ago that I don't do cows.... they fight back! and I've got the chunks of bone missing from my shin to prove it. I once spent a few weeks loading and moving cows & calves for a farmer.... never again... those little buggers are the worst.

That said, the idea of a house-cow for milk & cheese does keep coming up, but I think we're still on for trying it with a couple of goats initially.... much more sheep-like in terms of handling.

I am not sure whether this would interest you? [member=7747]farmershort[/member]  but I should have 2 in calf buffalo cows, in calf to a good milking bull, for sale in march-April. They're both very good milkers, have excellent temperaments and are excellent Calver's and mother's :) I will let you know closer to the time if they're of interest to you?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 05:22:21 pm »
I am SO cross, went up today to check when to collect him, he's gone!
Manager said he questioned boss when boss said it was sold, because manager  knows I collect, but boss insisted it was his to sell >:(.  Looks like best I can hope for is free kill and cut of the tup I took in.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:45:10 am »
I am SO cross, went up today to check when to collect him, he's gone!
Manager said he questioned boss when boss said it was sold, because manager  knows I collect, but boss insisted it was his to sell >:(.  Looks like best I can hope for is free kill and cut of the tup I took in.
Can I ask how this is possible? I don't understand, can you elaborate please?  [member=22672]penninehillbilly[/member]    ??? Surely it is against the law to do that...

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 10:26:34 am »

I am not sure whether this would interest you? [member=7747]farmershort[/member]  but I should have 2 in calf buffalo cows, in calf to a good milking bull, for sale in march-April. They're both very good milkers, have excellent temperaments and are excellent Calver's and mother's :) I will let you know closer to the time if they're of interest to you?

Hi WBF - thanks for the thought and the offer.... I fear I know what would happen to me though, if I came home with them!

We'll stick to the goat plan for now, and see how much milk we're getting through over the next year or two.

Good luck with them though. I keep seeing your stuff on Facebook and hoping the sales go well.... there's so many non-commital folk on FB.... it's a bit too easy for them to say yes with no ability to back it up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS