Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Permission to store motorhome on own land  (Read 4753 times)

lucben

• Joined Jan 2017
Permission to store motorhome on own land
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »
Hi,

I own a motorhome that is parked for storage and occasional use to make tea etc on a friends piece of land. A planning enforcement officer has inspected the site and told us we need to move the vehicle as it is not permitted to park this. As far as I am aware, my friend does not need permission to store this vehicle on the land, providing it is not being used domestically. The issue is that the area close to the parking spot has a small garden and so it looks quite domestic - we use it for doing educational wood work type stuff around a campfire with local kids.
Does anyone know of the actual legislation that says its ok to park a vehicle? I have had a preliminary search but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
Re: Permission to store motorhome on own land
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »
Just move it.......................................... a few yards.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:49:58 pm »
 :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:51:30 pm by shep53 »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:44:54 pm »
Storing a motorhome on your own land is probably one thing and storing it elsewhere is probably another. And if the setting looks domestic it will attract attention. How are you running these sessions with local kids? Through a recognised youth scheme or what? Is it that which people don't like?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »
Look it up on the internet so you get your story right.
If necessary be a bit economical with the truth. This is somewhat of a grey area so get your "facts" right and you should be able to put up a good case for the enforcement  officer as to why there is no need for you to move it.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:34 am »
 Another useful piece of advice I was once given is this - ask the enforcement officer to specify which parts of what planning act you are contravening. You can then look it up and find out if he is correct. (They aren't always!) It's fairly easy then to tweak your actions or your argument accordingly.
Rules are made:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:58:16 am »
It sounds like they maybe objecting to the activities rather than the vehicle as the vehicle is centre to the activities.

I would think that if you went to appeal you would win if an enforcement was made, provided it is a parked vehicle and your not using it as a 'clubhouse'

Is it on agri land or accommodation land? Is it within the houses 'ancillary area?'

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 06:39:20 pm »
It sounds like they maybe objecting to the activities rather than the vehicle as the vehicle is centre to the activities.

I would think that if you went to appeal you would win if an enforcement was made, provided it is a parked vehicle and your not using it as a 'clubhouse'

Is it on agri land or accommodation land? Is it within the houses 'ancillary area?'

The thing is it's no good guessing where there is a chance of enforcement. You need to have an accurate knowledge of what the enforcement officer is not happy about or it could be expensive. In order to appeal against an enforcement order you need a planning consultant and possibly a barrister, and these do not come cheap.
Rules are made:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 07:19:44 am »
What is the registered land use where it is parked?  If it's agricultural land then you are most likely drawing attention  by use of a domestic vehicle (planning worry about people setting up temp homes on agri land as a prelim to trying to move in permanently) and you might get away with locked/covered winter storage but not with use. 

The use you're making of the fire and groups will have an entire set of planning worries for them - safety, groups of kids fires, smoke, noise etc.  Put the two together and you appear to be moving in and starting a business fraught with safety issues on what is not your land and has clearly been raising questions/complaints.

Yes planning can be a dogs breakfast but look from their point of view, or the neighbours to that area, and see what it looks like from the outside.  The setup sounds similar to things they actively don't want eg a gypsy campsite, a gathering place for local kids/teens to hang out and make trouble, and a potential fire/noise/smoke pollution risk for folk that own the homes around. 

If someone was 'storing' a van on my neighbours land I'd have no issue but start all those activities and I'd be worried myself.  You may be doing no harm but you can maybe see why some folk would be concerned and address those concerns instead - provide locals with information about your activities with kids and fires, or move the van to simple storage away from the fire/group area and continue the activities or vice versa to half the problem and work out what might actually be feasible.  Council might even offer you a site for the 'arts for kids' activities as they are encouraging those in many places, but with the H&S issues and risk assessments etc as part of the setup process.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS