Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas lights  (Read 3576 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Christmas lights
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:55:18 pm »
I can never remember when we should stop lighting up.
I want to go on as long as possible,  I have a drystone wall about 5mtr from house, with cotoneaster running along, threaded with 3 strings of Led's, 2 coloured, some flashing is such a cheery view from the kitchen window, normally pitch black out there.
So, was the 'last night' last night, or is it tonight? 
Can I have one more night of brightness in my life  ;D
Not important I know, but I'll miss them :-(.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Christmas lights
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:25:42 pm »
I think it is either tonight or tomorrow night, so you can have another night lit up!

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:31:10 pm »
I believe the 6th, tomorrow, is Twelth Night when they traditionally come down.  Our decorations will be down tomorrow afternoon.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »
Last night tonight! I have never bothered with outside lights until this year and, like you, I think I will miss them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:50:34 pm »
IT'S ALL HOCUS POCUS SUPERSTITION ANYWAY,  IF YOU WANT PRETTY LIGHTS OUTSIDE ALL YEAR ROUND GO AHEAD!
Oops sorry, didn't realise shift lock was on  :-[ :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:05:22 pm »
Well I never. I was born and bred in the U.K., as was my husband, and both of us have been brought up taking everything down on Twelth Night. I've never heard of using the Eve of Epiphany before.  Good to learn something new!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:22:31 pm »
"When is Twelfth Night?

Twelfth Night is a festival which marks the end of Christmas and the coming of The Epiphany, another Christian feast day, on January 6.

For the Church of England, the date falls on January 5, although other Christian groups believe January 6 is correct.

Its name comes from it bringing to an end the 12 Days of Christmas – the length of time Christians traditionally celebrated the birth of Jesus.

Twelfth Night became the traditional date to take down festive decorations because people believed tree spirits lived in the greenery – such as holly and ivy – that adorned houses during the period.

It was thought that taking them down a day earlier or later is unlucky, and that if they are left up after Twelfth Night they should remain in place for the whole year."

Pure superstition!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »
The only lit up thing we have is a tree (artificial) and I can barely wait until Jan 1st to get the annoying thing down and back into the attic where it belongs.  I certainly couldn't last until the 6th  :xmas:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:01:57 am »
IT'S ALL HOCUS POCUS SUPERSTITION ANYWAY,  IF YOU WANT PRETTY LIGHTS OUTSIDE ALL YEAR ROUND GO AHEAD!
Oops sorry, didn't realise shift lock was on  :-[ :-[ :-[
Wondered why you were shouting at me. :-)

LOL, I know it's superstition, it's also tradition,  we have no decorations in the house, only these lights and some on a tree, just about our only nod to Christmas. :-).
I think I'll have them on in summer, and make a nice area to sit out in. I've had that dream for over 20 years :-).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:12:53 am »
I put lights up in my sitting room over a year ago. When people ask why I have Christmas lights up and it's not Christmas, I say they're not Christmas lights, they are lights and they are up because I like them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:51 pm »
All unplugged, dark and miserable out there.  :-(.
Hens still have theirs. Bought a battery operated set reduced to £1 , Handy to leave on for them for half hour when I feed up at night :-).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 01:47:18 pm »
I put lights up in my sitting room over a year ago. When people ask why I have Christmas lights up and it's not Christmas, I say they're not Christmas lights, they are lights and they are up because I like them.
well but we know you're mad anyway lol

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
I am also 'mad'!  I have had white Christmas lights round the lower roof line of our stable block for 20years and never take them down. They look so lovely when it's dark and donkeys and horses are mooching about on the hard standing. I only have them on when I'm down there but they make me smile.
I also have an old wooden ladder hanging from the ceiling in my kitchen (don't ask) which is always threaded with white 'Christmas'  lights and they are on most evenings.
If anyone ever comments, I just say 'Christmas lights are for life, not just for Christmas'  ;D
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »
I've had a string of led's in the barn since just after last Christmas, half price. I have them above the feed store area, when goats are fed & watered for night, I turn the main light off and the lLED's give plenty of light to prepare next days menu.Also gives half light for goats, let's them know final 5 mins or so before lights out  :-).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 12:12:01 am »
well but we know you're mad anyway lol

What ever gave you that idea?  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS