Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig losing weifht  (Read 2103 times)

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
pig losing weifht
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:05:39 am »
Hi 4 yrs ago i took in a rescue pig he was massively overweight. and through time lost weight.. however the last 4 months he has almost halved in weight.
1. how long do pigs live? as it may be natural wastage
2. he is up and about and usually vocal if he wants something
3.looks like he had mini stroke before me as face etc all twisted to one side
4 is dead and almost blind
5. this sounds like the worst pig ever but kids love him and he loves getting ears n tummy rubbed
6. is it possible he may have worms..
7 any ideas before i call the vet..
He is eating and drinking fine.. lives on his own with his pheasant family that have moved in with him

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: pig losing weifht
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:33:28 am »
Hoping you mean deaf, not dead, in No. 4!!  Sorry though I can't help with the question as I never had an old pig  :fc: :fc:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:57:59 am »
Do you know how old he is and what breed is he?

Have you ever wormed him since you have had him? If not, I would start by worming him.

Do you have a picture? How much and what do you normally feed?

The twisted snout probably wasn't a stroke. It could just be a conformation fault or he may have had rhinitis.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 02:13:29 pm »
Our sows go to cull at around 7 years old, as they can't produce enough milk to keep up with large litters.  Boars are sold on at round two years old or they'd be covering their own daughters.  We've never had one die of old age.

Worming is a good first step but it might be worth starting to think about the point at which you'll decide the boar is no longer enjoying life and decide your strategy for dealing with that now rather than when you're in a panic because he's ill or recumbent.

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 05:26:58 pm »
no real idea how old he is.. 6-7 i would think

prepared for the unevitable

has been wormed before but not recently

re twisted face not just snout and i cant get my pic to upload

deaf   yep

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 05:43:54 pm »
I have had sows live until ten years of age and would think that wouldn't be unreasonable for a pet pig.

Can you give us some idea of his size and how much and what he is fed?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 07:40:39 am »
If the twisted snout is new then rhinitis looks likely.  Again, you need to look at his quality of life and whether it's causing any discomfort or interfering with his eating.  Any tooth grinding? 

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 09:32:34 am »
Worm him, it shouldn't do him any harm and will rule out worms as a problem after a couple of weeks.

Has he got tusks and are they digging in anywhere?

It's a quality of life issue and judging the point at which he is going downhill without recovery. It's much easier and more humane to send him away under his own steam rather than going through the trauma of having to move him with a loader into a disposal truck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS