Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preserves - onion marmalade/pickled garlic. River cottage.  (Read 3254 times)

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Preserves - onion marmalade/pickled garlic. River cottage.
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:25:56 pm »
Hello :wave:
We've been travelling for nearly two years now, and I've left all my recipe books in Wales. We''ve stopped for a while in the south of France. I'm missing my books!! Does anyone happen to have the river cottage preserves book? I'm sure I used this to make pickled garlic and onion marmalade to great success before. I've google the recipes but not come up with the recipes I remember......
would anyone be willing to have a look in their copy and see if I'm right? They are there? Or am I remembering wrong?
If they are there would you be willing to share them with me? At our [size=78%]local market there is an old fella that sells his own garlic..... I'd love to use that recipe again. [/size]
[/size][size=78%]I realise it may be a big ask. [/size]
[/size][size=78%]Thanks in advance. [/size]
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Preserves - onion marmalade/pickled garlic. River cottage.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:56:49 pm »
Onion marmalade is on page 125....

Makes 5 x 225g jars
100ml olive oil
2kgs onions, peeled and finely diced
200g Demerara sugar
150g Redcurrant jelly
300ml Cider vinegar
50ml Balsamic vinegar
1 rounded tsp salt
1/tsp freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in large pan, medium heat, add onions, reduce heat, cover the pan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 30 to 40 mins, or until onions are collapsed and beginning to colour.
Add sugar and RC jelly, increase heat and continue to cook, stirring more frequently for about 30 mins, until mixture turns dark nutty brown and most of the moisture has been riven off.
Take off the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before adding the vinegars, the return to heat and cook rapidly for another 10 mins or so until mixture becomes gooey and spoon drawn across the bottom of the pan leaves a clear track across the base for a couple of seconds.
Remove from heat, season with salt & pepper,, spoon into sterilised jars and seal with vinegar proof lids. That's it...

Hope this is what you are looking for!

Will do the other one tomorrow evening...

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Preserves - onion marmalade/pickled garlic. River cottage.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:49:48 am »
Thank you so much. That's the one  :excited: :excited:

Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS