Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding broodys  (Read 2598 times)

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
Breeding broodys
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:27:58 pm »
Hi I was just wondering if anyone breeds bantams purely for their brooding qualities?
I have some Wyandotte cross game bantams and I'm thinking of breeding them into a strain selected and bred purely for setting. I have read a small article on the Alan setters from the USA that were bred with the same idea in mind.
Thanku J.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Breeding broodys
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 05:54:46 pm »
Silkies are brilliant broodies as are most of their crosses so they would be my choice to add in :) I've never had any wyandottes or games to compare them but when I downsized a local breeder took my silkies for brooders :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:56:25 pm »
The classic broody breed is Silkie crossed with a larger breed such as a Sussex, to avoid the excess feathers that sometimes cause problems for smaller chicks.  I wouldn't have thought a game breed would have been included in the mix for a good broody.

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:08:41 pm »
Thank you all for your opinions, regarding the game blood I have kept pure oxford OEG and also American game and found them to be very protective mothers. I think I will see if I can find a couple of silkie cocks to add to my flock.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:27:20 pm »
I didn't have good experience with silkies as broodies. One stopped sitting after two weeks and the other one attacked babies as soon as they hatched...
Silkie crosses were fantastic though!
I had one, I think silkie cross serama, that would go broody 3 times a year and she hatched chickens and ducks. She was fantastic! Muscovy ducks make great broodies.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:54:52 pm »
I've has a Silkie that was a very reliable broody for both chicks and ducks.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:00:47 pm »
I've had Indian game and game x and they are fantastic broodies. They cover a good few eggs and not aggressive at all so easy to keep checking under.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 08:19:21 pm »
I've always liked Sussex for brooding. I'm sure there can't be much difference, but light Sussex rather than spekled or buff for brooding chicks.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:45:31 am »
We've had bad experiences with young broodies, both not going the duration and eating their chicks. However we had a 2 year old Wyandotte who was fantastic, but unfortunately she burned out two days into her third clutch and a lovely hen was lost.

Since then we've stuck to using incubators.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:33:01 am »
Silver Grey Dorkings  and Laced Wyandotte L/Fs have always been ood, reliable broodies for us, although only about one in five birds will go broody.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS