Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new to smallholding  (Read 1518 times)

Rob67

• Joined Jan 2017
new to smallholding
« on: January 02, 2017, 09:23:30 am »
Hello i`m Rob
i have had a field since 1999.
It was bought as a plain field on which i decided to build/erect stables for a livery business.
For various reasons it became apparent this was not going to work out.
Now i`m keen to have a few sheep maybe a couple pigs on there i have water supply.
I have no idea on the requirements for keeping live stock.
my first job will be to secure the area so its stock and people proof if possible.
I have read articles on barbed wire i dont have any right of ways through my land, however my nieghbour and his associates do walk over uninvited when i`m not there. Are a couple of strands of barbed wire allowed to deter or is this likely to lead to a claim.
If you could advise on the post size and spacing i would appreciate it,i`m looking at 150mm stock fence about 800mm high plus wire i think, also there is a lot of price difference in materials/quality
Do you advise a contractor fitting i have a couple of tractors i`m guessing a post knocker would be an option if i can hire one.
thank you for looking any advise would be appreciated Rob

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: new to smallholding
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:42 am »
Hello and welcome to the best site around... enjoy  :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:59:38 pm »
Hi Rob, surprised I've only just seen this, welcome.
Our fence posts vary,  boundary are 2m, internal 2.5, old ones are 3m apart.
I think posts are 5ft, x3". Your local agrisupplies would advise.
I would get it fenced asap, when we bought some adjoining land we realised a local farm was using our gateway as access, they actually had a skip put in our field, we had it fenced and locked gate before they could claim any rights. Then found they were playing with their quad in our field, they had actually put a gate from their yard to our field, we didn't touch the gate but put some posts and fence across on our side, didn't have any more problems.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »
Hi Rob and welcome to the forum from Ceredigion :wave: I would advise stocking up on livestock manuals, practical guides etc, etc and animal ailments books and the such.  Another good thing would be to visit some farms/book some courses on sheep keeping, lambing, cattle, calving and talk about general management with a few people, who would be happy to tell you all you need to know.  My third bit of advice would be to go to sales, sheep, cattle marts and talk to the breeders there, maybe arrange a farm visit with them to see the animals in their working clothes, so you can really get a feel for the breeds you like.
Hope this helps and all the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:02:26 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS