Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Domestic heating oil  (Read 2106 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
Domestic heating oil
« on: December 30, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »
Currently have 10" deep. Going down at a rate of approx an inch a fortnight. At what point do I worry about gunk being sucked into the boiler? As far as I can see the inside of my tank isn't grotty but a neighbour had a gunk related breakdown which I'd rather avoid.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Domestic heating oil
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 08:59:22 pm »
fit a filter system preferably one with a clear bowl so you can see the fuel, and change filter if required. In the long term cheaper than fixing a bunged up boiler ( that will happen on the coldest day of the year )

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:36:21 pm »
Silly question, but isn't the height of the offtake fixed anyway?  If so (apart from SD's point of having a delivery stir it up), if you're not sucking in sludge now, why would you when the tank runs to nearly empty?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:26:35 pm »
Depends how much sludge has accumulated over time

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:45:36 pm »
A filter won't do any harm.  If the oil is clean it goes straight through.  If it's dirty the filter will do its job.

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:22 am »
Well the good news is that I do have one of those bowl-shaped filters just outside the tank. In a vehicle or hedge/brushcutter the fuel line floats on the surface so as the tank empties you have the chance of sookin up crud.

Thank you all for your advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS