Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gilt with small vagina... to breed or not to breed!?  (Read 2310 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Gilt with small vagina... to breed or not to breed!?
« on: December 26, 2016, 02:27:48 am »
That is the question!

My lovely gilt Penelope is now the right age and weight to breed from! She has had two heats and I think I will put her in with Dudley next time! My slight worry is that she has a rather small vagina... I will try to remember to get a pic tmrw,  but the actual vulva is about half the size of the other girls. Might this be problematic? She is a fantastic looking girl so I am hoping the hormones will kick in and all will be fine! What do you guys think? Maybe I am being silly but thought I would pick your brains!

Happy Christmas!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Gilt with small vagina... to breed or not to breed!?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 09:35:54 am »
What's on the outside may bear no relation to what's on the inside.   Without an internal examination by a vet I don't think you can assume anything.  How old is your gilt and what breed?  We don't put our GOS to the boar until at least 11 months.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 04:11:36 pm »
She's a Landrace X Hampshire and is coming up to 9.5 months... she will be near on 10 by the time her next heat comes around. Lovely big lass.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:39 am »
Commercial Landrace are typically put to the boar at around 8 months old, so have farrowed by the time they're a year old and they produce around 3 litters before being culled, I assume because they've been pushed so hard having been put back in pig a month after farrowing, that they're clapped out.  I would expect a native breed sow to farrow at 15 to 16 months and produce at least 10 litters (being put back to the boar after weaning at 8 weeks) before her milk production could no longer keep up with demand from her piglets.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:27:40 pm »
She should be well grown with that crossing. If you have concerns chat to your vet but I suspect that it won't be a problem when she changes to give birth.

I have had a Landrace sow and had many large litters from her.

I know commercial hybrids only have a couple of litters and then become unviable because they have been bred to produce extremely lean pork and they can't keep enough weight on to sustain themselves let alone keep having litters. However I also believe that commercial units now appreciate this fact and are addressing it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS