Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waterproofs and wellies  (Read 8704 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Waterproofs and wellies
« on: December 23, 2016, 05:59:08 pm »
Hey

I bought cheap waterproofs last year when we started and they quickly feLL apart. I bought some regatta ones which I thought were better, but it seems they haven't survived the summer, they are falling apart and the leg seam has split.

Any recommendations for waterproof trousers  (and jackets)?  Some good quality ones.

Also looking for recommendations for wellies. I have some Dunlop fleece lined ones but my socks always fall off lol. Any nice warm ones?

Fancy treating myself for a late Christmas.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Waterproofs and wellies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »
I have flexothane jacket and trousers I bought from granite workwear. They are light weight, flexible, and very waterproof. The water musts runs off, so,if it is raining hard I need the trousers as well as the jacket or my trousers end up wet. They must be good value, the Yorkshire vet Julian wears the same sort of flexothane trousers as me! I usually buy cheapish wellies and add woolly socks iif my feet are cold.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 06:43:21 pm »
We have flexothane too as do all the farmers round here
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:52:04 pm »
Flexothane for me and Bekina wellies

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:23:34 pm »
Flexothane or Seal Flex, both properly waterproof for at least twelve months.  You do need to buy new ones every 12-18 months, though.  IME, whichever ones you get hey only remain totally waterproof for a while.

Wellies is discussed over and over again.  I like Dunlop Purfort - very light weight, great grip, wear really well.  They do ladies versions, wide leg versions, steel toe cap versions, etc.

I find the trick with socks in wellies is to tuck your jeans into your socks before putting the wellies on.  My socks rarely move until I take the wellies off.  An alternative is Bama welly slippers, wear them over your socks inside your wellies for toastie warm feet and socks that stay put.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:04:17 pm »
Grubs frostline wellies,

Fabulous, waterproof, keep feet super warm, fit fat and skinny legs, what more could you ask for? :yippee:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:23:29 am »
I've had a pair of Sunderland of Scotland waterproof trousers for years - found them balled up in a hideous, muddy heap in an old tack room I took over about 4 years ago (so well worn and abused then). Washed them well in waterproofing solution and they're still going strong. I wear them all the time and they never leak, are warm, comfortable and cope with everything I've thrown at them (horse riding, dog walking, sheep wrangling, mucking out the pigs, etc...)

I'm so impressed with them that I bought my OH a pair this year and he's over the moon with his too - previously, he'd get through waterproofs like they were going out of fashion, end up wet and grumpy and chuck them out. He loves these ones and if they last half as well as mine, I'll be very happy.

Not the cheapest, but definitely the best I've ever come across: https://www.glenmuir.com/sunderland/

Re: wellies...tough call. 5 or so years ago I'd have said Muck Boots but I threw my last pair away a week ago at only 18 months old, having worn right through the back of them. Not impressed. Am back to wearing my £10 Dunlop wellies with very thick socks and they're doing far better than the Muck Boots did. My OH has just got himself a pair of Skellerup wellies which he says are fab so far, but time will tell.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 01:13:32 pm »
Flexothane overtrousers and cheap green farmer wellies from the agri store.  Third winter and still going with a couple of minor snags.  I don't have the equivalent jacket but would get one, my water proof coats never last.. What I need just  now is a hat, I hate wearing hats and lose them asap  but I've got real earache with this wind when checking ponies up the hill so I need to dig one out :(
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »
When i did a stint on an arable farm (as a  youth) the simplest was a Nitram sack with holes for my head and arms and baletwine around the waist. Of course back then we used cocoa tins and string as telephones..

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 10:37:08 pm »
Same as Shep53 for me. 
Flexothane isn't very robust though,  and will start to smell of cat wee if you don't wash them often enough!  :)
Recently bought some army surplus waterproof pants for outdoor work - brambles, fencing etc....will report back if they are any good, as they were cheap compared to everything else.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 12:59:49 am »
Can you machine wash flexothane?

Does anyone rate the neoprene wellies? Although I think bog standard wellies and socks seems to be getting the popular vote.

Thanks guys

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 04:28:24 pm »
Yes, it is recommended to wash flexothane regularly.

I wouldn't wear neoprene, too hot unless you are standing around doing nothing.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 05:57:15 pm »
An alternative is Bama welly slippers, wear them over your socks inside your wellies for toastie warm feet and socks that stay put.

+1 for boot liners over socks.   Things like http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/neoprene-wellington-boot-liners-black0  which I came across having recently bought the MVF No Bull wellies which includes a similar liner http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/no-bull-welly-sock-black that rolls over the top.  Wish I'd come across them a whileback as they also make getting wellies on and off a whole lot easier, keep the foot warm, keep socks less sweaty,yet don't allow the foot to ride around inthe bott during normal use.  Probably my "discovery" for the year.

I haven't been wearing the No Bull wellies (http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/no-bull-safety-wellingtons-black) long enough to comment on their robustness, but like them so far as they fit over calves easy and I can get my foot in and out easy when i need to.  I really struggle with most other wellies to find ones that fit.  Extremely light as the toe cap is not steel, something I'm a little warey over still.

For waterproofs I use the usual Hi Viz stuff.  Have some flexothene pants to try but they seem a little more restrictive around the bum etc than the standard safety kit.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:07:55 pm by Badger Nadgers »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 07:29:43 am »
These are the Bama welly slippers.  If, like me, you have chubby calves, you might prefer the short sock type like the Bamas to the long-leg welly sock like the No Bull.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 07:04:26 pm »
I wash |Flexothane on a cold wash with 500 rpm spin and they do fine.  Tend to crack around the knee and elbow  joint sites after a couple of years.  I used to rate Muck boots but the last two pairs have lasted only 18 months then cracked at the side of the instep.   Nora |Maxx and Bekina Pur ones seem to last better.  Wouldn't go back to standard boots with socks ever again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS