Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS bloodlines  (Read 1494 times)

Jamesh

• Joined Dec 2016
GOS bloodlines
« on: December 21, 2016, 07:58:20 pm »
Calling all pedigree GOS owners.
Does anyone have any information/knowledge of the differing female bloodlines (or male) relating to rarity/ characteristics etc
I have recently taken on 5 sows ( 2 sows in pig and 3 weaners) to get the ball rolling on a little herd for next year, each one a differing bloodline and very interested to find out more.
Are some bloodlines favoured for showing perhaps?

I've seen a few GOS posts banded around so thought i would pose the query (will be posting on GOSPBC also)

Thanks for any incite!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: GOS bloodlines
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:25:03 pm »
I believe our female bloodline, the Princess Freda, is the most rare of the female GOS lines.  The response I often hear is "They're rare for a reason", i.e. they have a problem.  Actually it's more likely that herds of a certain bloodline were concentrated in a small area and it would need only two or three owners to retire and their herds to be dispersed at auction to folks who didn't register litters for the line to become rare.  When we took on our in-pig sow at the request of the GOSPBC I believe there were only 8 registered females left.  We've registered only the best and sold them to experienced breeders around the country whenever possible, so the progeny from that sow are now spread from Lincolnshire to Scotland, to hopefully keep it safe in the event of a disease outbreak.  We've found the PF's to be very  docile, excellent mothers and a good all round pig for pork and bacon.  Ours have never had litters larger than 12, but we've had no runts and none has ever been laid on. 

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: GOS bloodlines
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:42:59 pm »
If you go on the BPA website and look on the breed survey 2016 list you will see both male and female lines and numbers.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS