Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to find CPH number  (Read 42089 times)

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
How to find CPH number
« on: December 20, 2016, 03:36:53 pm »
A few weeks ago I went up to our family land to discover four heifers in the barn. The farmer we 'rent' the land to is a sheep farmer so I was kinda surprised to find some cows there.

It got me thinking though...how do you find out a CPH? The farm's been in our family four generations but my dad skipped the farming gene and rents it out. However, the sudden appearance of cows has made me question whether all the proper paperwork was done....none of us were asked.

How would I go about finding out our CPH? I MUST ring our tenant farmer and check they're actually his cattle too!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: How to find CPH number
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 05:08:05 pm »
If he has Sheep on the land, he would already have a CPH number which is the same number for any animal. He would need a separate herd number for cattle compared to sheep.

The Rural Payments Agency deals with issuing CPH so they may be able to help, I don't have cattle so not sure who would issue the herd number.

I suppose the question is how restricted is the rent agreement he has with your family over what animals you are allowing him to have on the land.

________
Caroline

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:24:30 pm »
If he has Sheep on the land, he would already have a CPH number which is the same number for any animal. He would need a separate herd number for cattle compared to sheep.

The Rural Payments Agency deals with issuing CPH so they may be able to help, I don't have cattle so not sure who would issue the herd number.

I suppose the question is how restricted is the rent agreement he has with your family over what animals you are allowing him to have on the land.

I don't think we've ever restricted him to keeping certain livestock on the land [member=111010]Caroline1[/member]. I was just thinking that in terms of moving cattle around etc, if they're on our land then they need to have been moved there using the correct procedures. I don't even know the CPH of our land, so I'm wondering how he'd have officially registered the animals as moving from his farm, to ours.

I don't actually mind - at all. I'm not currently using the land, so I'm happy for them to be there. I'd just to like to know MY CPH number (would I have one if my grandfather worked the land until circa 2000?) and that there aren't animals on my land which aren't actually properly registered.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 05:43:06 pm »

Wouldn't BCMS give out the herd CPH?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 06:23:34 pm »
Have a look at the instructions here for registering a new CPH. I reckon if you phone them with a grid reference, they might tell you what it is if you ask nicely?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 07:38:23 pm »
May not have one. Our neighbour has just had one allocated, his predecessor didn't have one probably never got round to it as retiring around the time of foot and mouth- not sure they were used before that. 

Your tenant can legally move the animals on using a temporary arrangement as per Wombles link.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 11:53:16 pm »
Your tenant will have his or her own CPH on the land, I would think.  Ex-BH had one CPH which covered land he owned and land he rented, plus another CPH on another parcel on which he had an annual grazing arrangement.

It's possible to have two CPHs on the same ground, managed by two different farmers.  A dairy farm where I used to buy calves rented out his fields for winter grazing for sheep.  The sheep farmer had his own CPH for the ground.  I always thought it both bizarre and sensible that I could buy calves irrespective of the sheep's movements - since the sheep were only on when the cattle were housed, it was actually sensible that neither farmer's movements affected the other. 

Of course, I'm talking England, and I don't know which country you are in.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 11:30:36 am »
Your tenant will have his or her own CPH on the land, I would think.  Ex-BH had one CPH which covered land he owned and land he rented, plus another CPH on another parcel on which he had an annual grazing arrangement.

It's possible to have two CPHs on the same ground, managed by two different farmers.  A dairy farm where I used to buy calves rented out his fields for winter grazing for sheep.  The sheep farmer had his own CPH for the ground.  I always thought it both bizarre and sensible that I could buy calves irrespective of the sheep's movements - since the sheep were only on when the cattle were housed, it was actually sensible that neither farmer's movements affected the other. 

Of course, I'm talking England, and I don't know which country you are in.

Aha, I expect this might be the case. I'm in England - Suffolk to be precise. I'll give him a ring and find out. I suspect, from what others have said, that we don't actually have our own CPH given that we've not kept livestock on the land since before the foot and mouth outbreak.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS