Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck housing ideas  (Read 834 times)

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
Duck housing ideas
« on: April 02, 2024, 08:42:44 pm »
So on my other thread  Richmond affirmed that my idea that getting a couple of runner ducks is a good one.
Does anyone have any creative ideas of how to make a duck house? It would be in a secure 3x3m run which would be closed at night

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Duck housing ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 09:34:07 pm »
Are you saying they would be in a 3 x 3 m run all the time? Or will you let them out to roam further? Runners are pretty active and 3 x 3 m is not very big. Regarding housing - unlike chickens who sit on a roost in pretty much the same place all night, ducks do shuffle around a bit but a small shed (or large dog kennel) will be sufficient for two or three ducks. I notice you are planning for two - is that two females or a male and female? The male would need two females minimum - they are quite randy!

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 10:20:40 pm »
Sorry, I shouldn't have said "a couple". I'd like five or six. They'd only be in the 3x3 at night. They'd have an acre in the daytime.

It's this kind of run https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C6GJ8W92/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams.
I thought I could keep their house, paddling pool and feed in there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:27:53 pm by DippyEgg »

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 10:28:29 pm »
Sorry, I shouldn't have said "a couple". I'd like five or six ducklings to start with. They'd only be in the 3x3 at night. They'd have an acre in the daytime.

It's this kind of run https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C6GJ8W92/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams.
I thought I could keep their house, paddling pool and feed in there.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 08:31:14 am »
That will be fine for overnight. I have heard that the chicken wire mesh that comes with these types of run is fairly flimsy so you may need to reinforce it.

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 05:11:54 pm »
Yes you are right! We kept rabbits in before so it' s got 1x1 cm thick wire dug into the ground and coming up the sides about 50 cm. Thanks

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 08:44:11 am »
I have one if those runs, it's true the wire mesh is pretty cheap and useless. That being said, you can buy better mesh reasonably priced if the one you get isn't great. As for housing, I modified a cycle store for my ducks. I'll see if I have any pics, if not I'll take a photo next time I'm out with the birds

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 10:23:40 am »
That would be great, thanks Kiran!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 04:15:43 pm »
Ours had a small dog kennel type arrangement for many years. Just a flat floor, since they don't perch. Also put in far more ventilation than you think you need!

Make the pop hole at or only slightly above the outside ground level, and make it bigger and wider than for hens because they all tend to rush in and out as a group.

We upgraded our duck housing a few years ago, to "the brick duck house", which is built like, well, a brick duck house! Concrete floor, lifty uppy lid, and one wall made from a wood panel that lifts off to allow cleaning.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS