Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie small holder with great enthusiasm and little knowledge  (Read 3138 times)

Ian Edwards

• Joined Dec 2016
Newbie small holder with great enthusiasm and little knowledge
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:59:22 am »
Hello everyone, just found this site in a very roundabout way, I have had my place for around 18 months, its 16 acres 1and a half hours north east of Perth it has a large american syle barn on it thats been council approved for conversion into a dwelling a 100klt water tank and septic, Plumbings almost complete, need to connect up the HWS.
My wife an I go from loving the place on a friday night (Cheese Bickies and Wine night) to realising we must be quite mad by Sunday (cant move the legs neck and back day).
Anyway looking forward to gaining great knowledge for the site, maybe after Christmas.

Rgds
Ian and Nola

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Newbie small holder with great enthusiasm and little knowledge
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:27:51 pm »
Welcome!

The loving it Friday and being exhausted Sunday sounds familiar.  Sounds like you have an awesome project ahead of you. You'll find a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 06:40:12 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing more about your venture
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 07:46:12 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:24:32 pm »
 :wave: from arbroath
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 08:35:13 am »
Been there. Still there  ;D Hello and welcome from Carnoustie :wave: What are your longer term plans for your 16 acres?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:53:50 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum from Ceredigion  :wave: It really sounds very exciting for you both. What are your plans for the place?  :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 11:54:56 am »
Hi and Welcome!

Which Perth by the way?  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 04:37:22 pm »
Welcome from Grays/Suffolk!  :wave:

Sounds like you're doing what I plan to do in the next few years. Keep us all updated.  :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 12:25:05 pm »
Hi and welcome.
As to the wondering if youre mad and not being able to move, still a satisfying feeling when you can look at your work isn't it  :).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:03:54 pm by penninehillbilly »

Ian Edwards

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 11:50:19 pm »
Happy new year everyone and thanks for the welcome.
Sorry its Perth in Western Australia, 41C forcast for later today, bloody hot.
Not sure whay were going to do on the 16 acres yet, thinking I could grow something for the local market maybe asian herbs and veggies, want chooks as well but need to get the place habital first.
over Christmas we had the gas hot water and stove installed so we have now have all the plumbing and gas sorted, no 240v yet so need to start the generator when I want to run the pump. hope to start looking at the electrics in Feb. been running off 2 x 140w solar panels and a deep cycle battery for over 12 monthe now, runs my wayco 50lt fridge and 3 strings of LEDs
I have 3 KW of solar panels I need to install, but of course the batteries look like they will cost an arm and leg

first day we bought it, not sure how I managed 2 pics
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:52:06 pm by Ian Edwards »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:02:31 am »
Wow, that will be some house!
Always loved the idea of a verandah, to sit out on a summer evening and relax, not that we ever have time to that ;D.
What are the main plant pest problems down there? Summer evenings for me means slug killing, been out there till midnight sometimes  :(.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 11:54:47 am »
Gimee some sun :-)

Yep, the place looks lovely but very different to what most of are used to over here so it will be interesting to see how you get on
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ian Edwards

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:02:05 am »
Thanks Guys,
Currently waiting for neigboring farmer to put his sheep on to knock down the grass (Council very strict due to bushfires) Mossies go through periods of being very heavy which is a pain, not so bad in the winter as we get the fire going outside and the smoke seems to keep them away. total fire ban at the moment from October to April. Had about 5 no movement orders over the last month, not allowed to harvest or operate any vehicle or motorised equipment in the paddocks.
Don't have much in the way of slugs, parrots tend to attack the new groth on the trees. Were having problems with little thorny seed pods locally called double G's

Looking at finishing the tileing in the bathroom this weekend do we can use the shower. will post some pics later

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS