Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Liver fluke  (Read 3568 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Liver fluke
« on: December 17, 2016, 12:55:26 pm »
Took one of the boys in yesterday, liver was condemned because of fluke.
I have another male wormed with Noromectin  early Nov.
2 female kids wormed about a week ago,
6 female in-Kid goats  last wormed April.
+ 4 Sheep, lasthe wormed April, 1 hopefully in lamb

The female kids, can I worm with a different product  (flukicide) so soon after Noromectin.
Can I worm in kid goats, 2-3 month gone.
Same with ewe, but she's about 5wk gone.

Have used Combinex in the past, any other thoughts.

Any advice appreciated, was a bit of a shock as he seemed so healthy.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Liver fluke
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »
Use Albenil 3 x sheep worm dose.(or double what it says for sheeps fluke dose. This is a white wormer not a flukicide shorter withdrawal (60hours milk 14 days meat(cattle/sheep) and   double dose kills adult fluke but goats need twice sheep dose.
Alternatively fasinex (kills all ages of fluke over 2weeks) at sheep dose which has a long withdrawal.
Also any option for treating fluke says not for sheep producing milk for human consumption. Can depend on opinion of vet of prescribing on sheep or cattle option for goats.
Fluke is becoming a increasing problem, I lost a few goats last year to fluke, never had it before. The above was what my vet who also phoned the GVS to check to do. Also have them shut in through the winter now but can be a year round problem.
Be great if someone could invent a snail proof fence!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:18:45 pm by Talana »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 08:14:06 pm »
Thanks, will see what I can get, only have one still milking, need to dry her off soon. According to chap at abbatoir it is 3 months before liver is healed.
 at the end of your reply you mention shut in for the winter, is that what your vet suggested and do you suggest that? I do like to let them out for exexcise,  i was told that help for easier kidding.
Difficult keeping the sheep in though.?
Good job I've ordered extra haylage :-)

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 10:21:32 pm »
With the sheep its strategic dosing October(fasinex) January  April. Also summer if need to if very wet and fluke forecast useful in that case. About 12 weeks from eating the fluke till adult fluke. Speak to you vet. I keep  the goats in so I can get them clear of fluke over the winter.Then can fec minimum of 12 weeks after turn out in summer luckily this summer they have been clear. I keep mine communally so they have room to exercise inside although not the same as out. Vet also said fence off wet areas, trouble is whole field wet when it rains plus snails don't pay any attention to fences.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:50:24 pm by Talana »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:02:26 pm »
Please read albenil NOAH   at the double dose for fluke you cannot give during or for one month after tupping  plus it is a group 1 wormer and only kills adult fluke . speak to your vet

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 02:26:52 pm »
I spoke to my vet about fluking around tupping and he had never heard that before. He even asked the other vets ( all farm vets) and they decided it was because of the stress caused handling to fluke not the product itself.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 02:41:49 pm »
Don't know but it clearly says so and yet  specific flukicides have no such warnings

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 02:52:56 pm »

Just googled it... it can't be that common but i guess I'll find out come lambing time as i fluked a few days before the tups went in :-(

DON’T give white drenches to sheep at the higher fluke dose during tupping or for
one month after the tups are removed. Not only will it fail to kill young fluke it can
also cause deformities in the unborn lambs.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 03:12:34 pm »
Most wormers and flukicdes  have no residual effect so giving a few days before tupping It will have been excreted , the lack of ability to kill immature flukes at this time of year is more of a worry

irenemcc

• Joined Sep 2013
  • H
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:16:40 pm »
Albenil only does mature fluke so should be reserved for spring doses where possible as less likely to pick up fluke in winter so get a "clean" kill as it were.
Fasinex is triclabendazole based (as is Combinex but it has a wormer element too which you shouldn't need if recently wormed). Triclabendazole kills down to 2 week old immature fluke so is best for late autumn/winter treatments and also a summer one if neccessary. However overuse of any one chemical can lead to resistant flukes just as can happen with worms so an alternative that does down to 6 week immature fluke is Flukiver. That's what I have used this winter.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 07:20:30 am »
Flukiver ... Dosage for goats?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

irenemcc

• Joined Sep 2013
  • H
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 02:39:15 pm »
Flukiver - double sheep dose as per my vets instructions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS